THURSDAY MORNING, I realized a week had passed since I'd first shifted. Seven days since my life had changed forever. So much had happened since, it felt like longer. At the same time, it was hard to believe it had been an entire week.

I was scheduled to see Karen in the afternoon for shielding practice, I needed it but I wasn't looking forward to it. While shielding wasn't difficult, it was exhausting to keep going over the same thing.

I knocked on the front door and waited; a moment later, Gabriel opened the door.

"Hey, Karen said you'd be here soon. Come on in." He stepped back, giving me room to move past him. "She said have a seat in the front room, and she'll be here in just a moment."

"Are you joining us?" I asked as he closed the door and motioned me into the room.

"No, I won't intrude on your lesson. I have some work in the back of the house, but if you need me, call out. I'll hear you."

"Thanks, I will," I smiled.

"I was wondering, would like to have dinner with me tonight?" he asked.

I was silent for a second, "I'm going to say it bluntly, so please don't be offended. With all the changes I'm dealing with, I don't have time for a romantic relationship. If you'd like to go out as friends though, I'd be up for that."

"I understand not wanting to get involved," he said. "I'd like get to know you and help you adjust to our world. You want me to pick you up, or do you want to meet somewhere?"

"Why don't you pick me up? Normally I wouldn't give my address to just anyone, but Bill trusts you with Karen's safety so I can trust you with mine." I gave him my address and we set a time for him to pick me up before he disappeared into the back of the house.

Glancing around, I made sure I was alone before sitting in one of the overstuffed chairs angled toward the sofa. Last time, I'd found sitting alone helped me to focus. Every movement of another person on the sofa distracted me. Karen said as I became more comfortable focusing and shielding, it would be easier. I kicked off my sandals and folded my legs under me so my heels rested under my thighs. Settling in, I made myself comfortable before starting the focusing exercises we would start with.

I'm not sure how long I'd been working when Karen came in, but I caught her scent before I heard her; the light scent that hinted of nutmeg was unique to Karen.

"Sorry I'm late," she came into the room. "Before we start today, do you have any questions? Not just about the shielding, but anything? What do you think of our Lysandros and Harmonia, and don't be afraid to be honest, I'm asking for your feelings, your impressions?"

"I thought it went well. I really liked Alexis. I'm excited to learn whatever she can teach me. Hank... seemed okay, there's something different about him, but I don't know what."

"He's not from the area, Alexis met him while she was away at school. That might be part of what you're sensing. He's a bit more reserved than we're used to."

"Maybe. When I shook his hand I felt something, like a spark or a shock, if that makes sense."

She lifted her brows. "That's interesting. I'll have to see what I can find out. Are you ready for our lesson?"

"I think so."

"Have you been practicing?"

"Yes, ma'am. At least twice a day. When I have a chance, I center myself. Then I picture my shields, I see them surrounding me like a giant bubble. I was doing it when you came in."