SUNDAY MORNING, I answered messages, called my sisters, and ran errands early so I could enjoy the mid-day sun. Putting on my bathing suit and sunscreen, I headed out to the complex pool. I ignored the kids splashing in the shallow end and swam back and forth across the deep end until my arms felt like over-cooked noodles. They barely had the strength to lift my body out of the water. I lay face down on one of the lounge chairs surrounding the now empty pool and relaxed as I let the heat of the sun warm my tired body.

I'd slid up into the seat so I could lay my PCD on the ground and read. I'd read several pages when I heard the soft whisper of bare feet on concrete. I ignored it, expecting the footsteps to pass and fade away, but instead they got closer, then stopped beside me, a shadow falling across my body. The scent told me it was Devon, and I twisted around until I looked up to see his body silhouetted in front of the sun. It took a minute before I could focus on his face, he was grinning and dressed in loose black trunks with ARMY in silver block letters on one leg and no t-shirt.

"Well, well, well. What've I found here?" Devon sat on the edge of the chair next to mine. "How has your day been?"

"Not bad. I've gotten my chores done, talked to my sisters, swam laps, and I was reading for a bit before it's time to go to parents," I checked the time on my PCD and looked back up at him. "You're home early, aren't you?"

"A little. I got everything done and your dad sent me home. He said quitting time was when the work was done, not on the clock. I thought I'd take advantage of the free afternoon and go for a swim. I headed out, and found a beautiful Amazon had already beaten me to the pool."

I rolled my eyes. "You're funny." I didn't take him seriously. "Can you slide to one side or the other, or move to the other side if you want to talk, looking into the sun like this is killing me."

"I'm gonna swim first. Then, if you're still around, I'll pull up a seat. Enjoy your book," he stood and went toward the pool. I twisted around to watch as he dropped into the water before going back to my book. Behind me, I heard the rhythmic whoosh of his arms hitting the water as he swam.

I listened to him move back and forth in the water until my alarm went off, reminding me to go. I still needed to shower before going to my parents. I gathered my things, slipped into my flip flops, and left.

Half an hour later, I was headed across the courtyard to the parking lot. Devon sat on the edge of the pool, still dripping, with his feet trailing in the water. I raised one arm over my head and waved. Seeing me, he smiled and waved back.

* * *

The next evening, I came home and changed out of my work clothes. It was warm out so I chose a lightweight sun dress and sandals. It would be comfortable as well as easy to get off and on when it came time to shift. I was pulling the strap onto my right heal as someone knocked on my door. I lifted my left foot and slipped that strap up before answering the door. As I approached, I picked up the scent of toasted almonds. That's Gabriel's scent.

"I'll be right there." I didn't bother to shout, he'd hear me without raising my voice. I grabbed my purse, making sure my PCD and a couple of the canned shakes were inside before opening the door and stepping out to join Gabriel. Closing the door, I smiled. "Perfect timing. I was just pulling my shoes on. Ready?"

"Great, let's go!" he smiled then headed back down the stairs. "Oh," he stopped, turning back. "Before I forget. The Anikitos asked me to tell you, Wednesday, seven pm. He said bring nothing but yourself."

"Great, thanks for relaying the message."

"No problem." He shrugged, starting back down the stairs.