MID-MORNING Saturday I'd already spent an hour swimming laps, my main form of exercise in the summer. I was lounging in a chair next to the pool enjoying the nice day when my PCD signaled. I picked it up and saw it was Izzy.

"Hey, girl, how are you?" I said.

"Pretty good, how was your week?" she asked.

"Busy. I had something come up and I ended up taking the week off. I thought I'd have a chance to get together but I swear, I've run around like a chicken with my head cut off all week. I need to go back to work to get some rest. How's your week?"

"Busy. You interested in going out tonight?" I scrambled for an excuse. What wouldn't sound like an excuse? She'd know if I lied.

"Sorry, I'm gonna relax tonight. After my crazy week, I don't feel like going anywhere." I felt guilty but I knew I couldn't handle another club.

"Okay. Maybe we can get together for lunch next week?"

"That sounds like fun. If I forget, call me?"

"Sure, no problem. I'll catch you later then."

"Later, bye."

"Bye," she said.

The next day I was putting together a couple of casseroles when someone knocked on my apartment door. As I reached the living room, I realized I could smell Brandon. I felt a smile form as I opened the door.

"Hey, how are you?" I was happy to see him.

"Good, I thought I'd stop and see what you're up to."

"Come on in. I'm prepping food for this week. When I come in and I don't want to cook, I can just pop it in the oven. That way I'll have food instead of going without because I don't feel like cooking."

"That's a good idea. Why do women have all the great ideas while men have take-out and frozen pizza?"

"We got the brains and beauty both, I guess," I grinned. He shook his head and let it go.

"How did your week go?"

"Good, I guess. I spent Wednesday with Bill, I met his enforcers. Then I met the Lysandros and Harmonia, where it was decided that I should start spending time at the clinic on Fridays so I can learn to call animal forms. Thursday afternoon was spent with Karen on shielding. Then I went to dinner with Gabriel. He told me about the Kindred. Friday, I went to the clinic and met Caden. Yesterday I had nothing... swimming, housework; yesterday was the most normal day I've had in a while."

"You've had a lot to deal with, are you really okay with it?"

"That's an understatement..." I laughed.

"Wait, you went out on a date with Gabriel?" Brandon's eyes narrowed.

"No. I said I went to dinner with him. I've got enough to deal with. My world has been turned upside down and I'm trying to decide if it was good or bad. The last thing I need is to juggle a romance right now."

"Which way are you leaning, good or bad?" He seemed to relax.

"Good, I guess. I try not to think about it much. I deal with what's in front of me and try not worry about later. I'm sure it will hit me, but I'll deal with it then. Not being able to tell my family is the hardest part about it, I expect I'll find more negative soon enough."

"Is there anything I can do?"

"Can you rewind time and change things?"

"No, sorry."

"Then I just have to deal with it. I will, eventually. It just takes time. I'll manage, because I don't give up."

"True," Brandon said. "What's going on tonight? You want to do something?"

"Dinner with my family."

"Oh, that's right. I forgot Sunday nights are the family dinner. How hard is it keeping your secret?"

"Bill said I can tell my parents, if I want to, but not my siblings. I haven't decided if, or when, I'm going to yet. I'm having a hard time dealing with it. I don't know how they'll take it, I don't want to have to handle them while I'm still trying to handle it."

"They'll probably take the news better than you think."

"I don't know. For now, I'm gonna keep quiet. I hope tonight's better than last week, I've been practicing shielding. I shouldn't get bits and pieces of their thoughts. That was unnerving."

"I'll bet, especially not knowing how to stop it."

"I do now. I haven't picked up anyone's thoughts on accident in days, so I'll see."

"You don't need to go until later. You want to do something? We could go for a run, try to put together enough players for basketball, or go for a swim?"

"Nah, not today. I'm gonna finish this, then finish the laundry I started yesterday. At about three-thirty, I'm going to head over and help Mom. I like that extra time with Mom and Dad when I can help. And then Mom doesn't have do all the work herself."

"No problem, I'll go find something else to do. I need to get out for a while. I've been restless."

"Sorry. I hope you find someone, good luck." I washed my hands and walked him to the door. "I'll catch you later this week and we'll get together. Okay?"

"Sure, I'll catch you later." He turned to head down the stairs. I went back inside and finished my meal prep for the week.