Bill called a few days after the marathon shifting session It was early, before I'd made it into work even.

"I have news," he said, as soon as I answered the phone.

"Tell me it's good news." I was hopeful.

"Well, good news and bad news. I talked to Alexis and several others around the country. No one has ever heard of anyone ever trying to force the animal form of a non-shifter in the way you're wanting."

"That means?"

"That means that no one I've talked to knows if it can be done. Most think it can't, but some think it may be possible."

"I guess that's something," I said. "I still think I can do it. I want to try."

"I'd like to see if you can, too. We still need to see if Devon even wants to."

"I'll take care of that, with your permission."

"You have it." We wrapped up the conversation and disconnected. I went to work trying to figure out what I would say to Devon.

I'd decided to approach Devon on my own. I thought I could ease him into it, not influence him, but let him make the decision for himself. I was afraid having Bill, or anyone else, there when I brought it up may push him into doing something he'd later regret. That was the last thing I wanted.

That evening, I sought out Devon on my way home. I invited him to come up for dinner, saying I had something I wanted to talk about.

Forty-five minutes later, we sat down to a dinner of salad and grilled steaks.

"Dev, you know I have several talents, right?" I cut several bites off my steak as I asked.

"Yeah, what about them?" He took a bite of salad.

"One of them is that I sense powers in others."

"I heard you talking about it with Hank."

"Well, the thing is, I can sense a wolf in you."

He set his fork down and blinked several times before saying anything, "But I'm not a shifter."

"You've never been able to shift before, I know. I felt your wolf some time ago, but it took me a while to realize what it was. I can't sense anything similar in humans, I've tried. I'm certain I'm feeling your wolf." I saw confusion in his eyes. "Have you ever thought what you might do if someone gave you the option, the possibility, of being a shifter?"

He was silent, picking his fork back up and eating for several minutes before responding, "You know, I don't know. I used to resent not being able to shift. I was convinced there was something wrong with me because I couldn't shift. Now I've come to terms with it, it's just the way I am."

"I understand, and I'm not going to push one way or the other. I am raising a possibility. If you were given the option of trying to bring your wolf forward and it worked, it made you into a shifting Kitsune, would you try it?" He remained silent. "You don't have to answer now, think about it. Let me know."

"I'll think about it. It's never been suggested, I didn't think it was possible."

"It may not be," I said. "I'm the only one we know of who can sense your wolf, but I'm also the only person in the pack who can sense powers and call animal forms. It may be that the two skills in combination are all it will take. Or it may not work at all."

"So even if I decide to try, I could end up unchanged? Still a non-shifter?"

"I'm afraid so. But it's up to you if you want to try."

"I'll consider it. Who have you asked about this? If it was possible and all?"

"I've talked to you and Bill. I didn't want to mention it if it wasn't possible so I asked Bill. He's talked to several people trying to find out if it's ever been done, but I think only Alexis locally and I doubt he used names."

"I see. Can you give me a while to think about it?"

"No problem. This is sudden and it's not a decision you can make in an instant."

"Thanks. Can we keep it between us? I don't want people hounding me."

"Sure, I wasn't going to tell anyone anyway. It's nobody's business but yours."

"Thanks for that." We were quiet the rest of dinner, but it was a comfortable silence. After dinner, Devon thanked me for the meal and excused himself, saying he had to get up early. He had a lot to think about as well.

* * *

A couple of days later, while on my way to the clinic, my PCD rang. I glanced at the device that was attached to the dash and saw it was Raine. What did he want so early?

"Hey, Raine. What's up?" I asked after hitting the button to answer the call.

"Do you have plans for tonight?"

I thought for a second, "Nope, what's up?"

"Come to my place for dinner. We should talk."

"Is something wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong. Just come over. I'll feed you, we'll talk."

"What are we going to talk about?"

"Just come."

"Mysterious ass." He laughed. "What time you want me there?"

"About six."

"Want me to bring anything?"

"Just you."

"I'll see you then."

I ended the call, parked, and went inside wondering what was up with Raine.