The next morning, I called Mom. I asked if it would be all right to bring Devon to Sunday dinner. Because I know how my family is, I made it clear I'm not dating him, or anyone else for that matter. I thought it would give us all a chance to catch up, and I hoped, cheer Devon up some. He seemed kind of lost and lonely, I was hoping that the family could make him feel more at home, more at ease. My family would think I was bringing home a boyfriend, despite anything I said. I knew Devon had spent enough time with the Daniels clan that he could take the ribbing that was sure to occur. She said bring him, I didn't tell her he felt out of place with his own family, just that he had recently moved back and I thought we might enjoy catching up.

That afternoon, I went down to Devon's apartment and knocked on the door.

"Hello," I said when he opened the door. "How's your day going?"

"So far so good, come on in," he said. "I'm limited on seating, but you're welcome to what I have. I haven't bothered to find much furniture or do any unpacking." There were a few pieces of furniture in the apartment, bookshelves, an older, used sofa, and through the bedroom doorway, I saw the foot of a bed.

"That's all right. I expected as much, I came bearing an invitation."

"Oh?"

"I want you to come to Sunday dinner at my parents' tomorrow. The family would love to see you, even if Pace isn't there."

"Are you sure? They won't think you're bringing a boyfriend to meet the family?"

"I called my mom this morning, told her I ran into you last night, that you are back, and that you might like to catch up with the family. Then I said Sunday dinner would be perfect, as most of us are there. Other than birthdays and major holidays, it rarely happens anymore. I tried to make it clear we're not dating. But honestly? They'll probably think so anyway, you going to let that scare you away?"

"If it won't bother you, it won't bother me," he laughed. "I just wanted to check. If you're sure, I'd like to go. I enjoy your family. I like how accepting you are of your differences and how you love each of you because of them, not despite them."

"Me too. Just remember, they don't know what I am. You can't mention Kindred to them." We moved farther into his apartment, which appeared to be the same floor plan as mine but without the furniture and knickknacks I'd collected.

"Not a problem, I'm used to keeping the Kindred secret."

"I didn't think it would be, but I wanted to remind you."

"Do you want me to meet you there? Or would you rather ride together?"

"I go early to help Mom cook and often stay after to help her clean up, but if you don't mind, there's no reason we can't go together. Why take two vehicles?"

"I don't mind going early or staying late. I've got nowhere else to be. I might as well spend time with your family."

"Great, I'll leave about four thirty. I'll stop by and pick you up on my way out."

"That's fine. Should I bring anything?"

"Just you. Mom will be thrilled just to have you. Oh... I was gonna ask. How do you do with kids?"

"Haven't had a lot of exposure, but I do alright. Why?"

"Britt's got two. They're four and one and they've never met a stranger who wasn't just a new mountain to climb." I smiled at the idea of them climbing all over him.

"I think I can handle it," Devon laughed, "The innocence and honesty of little ones is refreshing."

"Refreshing... that's one word for it. Probably not the one I would've chosen off hand." I remembered more than once Jimmy had shouted some remark I found more embarrassing than refreshing. "Do you need any help unpacking?" I glanced around. It didn't look like he had had a chance to do more than carry boxes in and stack them in the front room.