34. Dani

“Will it hurt?”

Catalina runs her tongue over her fangs as a smirk curls her lips. The impression of a handprint is visible on her elegant neck, the blistered pink mark as prominent against her ebony skin as a sunburn. “Are you asking out of genuine concern for her wellbeing, or because now that you've agreed to this you feel obligated to care?”

I open my mouth to argue but the words catch in my throat. Yes, seeing Ashe nearly lose control like that had frightened me. I can't help but think about how close she came to snapping Catalina's neck, or how easy it would've been for her to turn her fury on the rest of us. But I agreed to this memory wipe for our own safety just as much as for her own good! Was lying to save everyone from her, even to save her from herself, really so selfish?

She may have the blood of demon kings flowing through her veins, but her soul was still human. She wasn't a goddamn monster! She hates what she is, what she can turn into, and I won't let that happen to her. I would do anything to protect her from it. To save the part of her that I know is worth saving, the part that stirs the butterflies in my stomach and sends my heart racing like the spark of an old flame flickering back to life. The part that I know in my bones I could love if she would just let me in.

Wait, what?

“It will not hurt to remove the memory of what happened here,” Nadia confirms, pulling me from my thoughts before I can analyze them further. “I will create a false memory in its place, one where she fell asleep shortly after your arrival. That will not be too hard for her to believe, seeing as how you fed on her during your drive.”

The demon glances at Catalina and the vampire shrugs. “It wouldn't be the first time we've protected her in this way, old friend.”

I don't even want to know what that means.

“Then consider it done.” With a firm nod, Nadia turns and walks away. “Bring her to her room. It is best that she is made comfortable.”

Next to me, Marco crosses his arms. “This is insane,” he grumbles, and I'd like to think that if this wasn't my idea then I'd agree with him.

But it was my idea and I still find myself inclined to agree. This whole supernatural mess I've gotten myself into was the very definition of insanity and I was dancing on a ledge, one misstep away from tumbling over the edge and into oblivion. I mean, hell, I was agreeing with Catalina of all people! What if this was that wrong step?

“You haven't known her long, Marco. You don't know the level of destruction she's capable of. And the girl is right, when Ashe wakes she will remember the truth about what she is and those emotions will come flooding back for her to feed on again. She is a cambion, it would be insane not to do this.” Catalina quirks a brow. “Of course, it will only work if everyone here agrees to keep quiet.”

“I won't tell.” Marco furrows his brow as his eyes find mine, but there is no warmth in his gaze. “But my debt's paid after this. I won't make such promises again.”

His answer twists the guilt like a knife in my gut. Catalina's hum of approval only deepens the wound.

“Good. Now, be a good dog and take her to bed.” The vampire rubs a palm over her throat, wincing at the contact. “Sto diáolo, I could use a stiff drink after that fiasco.”

Marco grunts as he scoops up the redhead's limp body into his arms. “What about her clothes? They're all burned up.”

“Nadia will tend to her when she's finished altering her mind. She'll leave no evidence of what almost took place here.”