37. Dani

The sun illuminated the sky in a colorful array of twilight blues, lavender pinks and honeycomb yellows as it slowly sank below the horizon. A warm breeze whispered through the leafy canopy as I stare out across the lake, watching as the wind rippled the still waters with its gentle caress. A small family of birds fly overhead, cawing out to the setting sun as they seek shelter for the coming night, and a lone fish jumps out of the water to kiss away the day.

Silence had never seemed so peaceful.

With a tired smile, I lean my back against a tree and let loose a contented sigh. With sights such as these, this place must certainly be heaven. And yet there was a strange familiarity to it all, like I've been here in another life. Or perhaps I've dreamt of it once before.

“There you are!” My smile widens as the newcomer lowers herself beside me. “I've been searching the entire woods for you.”

“Aye, and you are late,” I reply with a laugh, stretching my arms high above me as I sneak a sidelong glance at the redhead. “It is nearly sundown. Father will worry if I'm out any longer.”

Wait, father? My dad passed away when I was eleven, so why did I say that? And we had been in Nadia's townhouse only hours ago, in the middle of the city and nowhere near the woods. How did we get here? And why was I wearing a bonnet while Ashe donned . . . a dress? No, this was all too wrong to be anything more than a dream.

But as I stare into the depths of her hazel eyes, watching as they glistened like molten gold under the fading light, it all felt so right.

“I truly am sorry.” She flashes me a lopsided grin and my heart skips a beat. “Our sow had a difficult time with the birthing this morn, so my daily chores were delayed as I helped tend to her litter. Ten strong healthy piglets, can you believe our luck?”

“Oh, they'll fetch a fine price at the market this winter!” I'm not sure how I know this, but money had been tight for them lately and so this was good news—then again, this was my dream. Why should I not dream of good news?

“That they will, if we can fatten them up before then. This summer has not seen a bountiful harvest yet and our crop yield has been low.”

I cup her cheek. “It is truly admirable how you help your aunt with so much, Ashe, and with it being just the two of you on that farm.”

Ashe lived on a farm? Oh, I was definitely dreaming now.

She lifts my hand to her lips and a heat as pink as the sunset flushes my cheeks. “Aye, love, but I fear that I am selfish. I could not get here soon enough and may have neglected a few chores in my haste to see you.”

“Give thanks that you are someone worth waiting for.” I entwine my fingers in hers, relishing in the warmth of her hand against my skin. “God has seen fit to bless me with the affections of such a beautiful creature. It would be foolish of me to refuse such a gift.”

“You are as patient as a saint and as bewitching as a vixen.”

“And you are a cheeky little liar!” I reach over to smack her shoulder but Ashe leans back and we tumble to the ground instead, our laughter echoing in the quiet as she wraps a strong arm around my waist.

She slips off my bonnet and runs a hand through my hair, her eyes burning as they cut through my soul. “I would rather die a thousand deaths than lie to you, farm girl. But I will happily lay here with you.”

Whatever clever retort I had dies on my tongue in the heat between us. Instead, I capture her lips with my own in a kiss that would set fire to the sky. Only when my lungs are screaming for oxygen do I finally pull away.