Wyoming Winter - Chapter Seven

"What's not too late?" Sam asked.

"For you to get out of this."

"Erick, if you don't want to go through with it, you don't have to. No one is going to blame you."

"I was going to say the same thing to you."

After a long pause, she said, "No, I'm wrong. Someone would blame you. I would. You and I are the only chance these kids have to have their family together. If we don't do everything we can for them, they'll loose everything...again."

"I feel like I am damning one person to save six others."

She laughed, "What is the saying, the good of the one versus the good of the many? You aren't damning me. I want to do this." 

"Why? Why these kids? You don't owe them anything?" 

"Yes, I do." Sam answered. "I grew up in a world where it was like playing the lottery. If you were a lucky kid, you got to go to a good home, and maybe even have new parents who adopted you, and loved you. I never won that lottery." 

"That's a twisted analogy." 

"But true. Nan and Ray took me in from day one, and never made me feel like I was that unlucky kid who didn't deserve to get anything. I owe them this." 

"But you just babysat for them..." 

She shook her head, "No, it was so much more than that. They treated me like one of the family. You saw the pictures. They took me along when they went to the stables, and to the movies, and out to dinner. I was one of the family, and it felt so good." 

He nodded, "Then you will stay a part of the family." 

She stroked the baby's soft head, "I do need you to understand that...there will never be a physical part of our relationship." 

"I can respect your reluctance to have a physical relationship with a man you just met." 

"I do not intend to have a physical relationship with any man. I am marrying you solely for the kids. If it weren't for them, I would never marry or have any kind of relationship with a man." 

He studied her a moment, shock written all over his face, "Someone hurt you?" 

"Let's just say that, besides Ray who was like a big brother, there has never been a man in my life that hasn't injured me in some way, and leave it at that." 

He nodded, "I understand, and I promise you, nothing will happen that you don't want. I'm not that kind of person."  

She had her doubts. In her experience most, if not all, men eventually showed that side. "Thank you." 

"But...I hope you don't hold to that conviction. I hope you find a man who will show you that not everyone is out to injure you. There are some good ones left." 

"I'm not willing to take that chance. Look, don't worry about me. I've been taking care of myself for a long time now."

"Well, as of tomorrow, I will be taking care of you, and the girls. You won't have to worry about anything anymore."

Sam stood with the baby, "Goodnight." In the bedroom, she laid the baby in his bed, and crossed to climb under her own covers. 

Find a man to change her mind, he'd said, no, that wasn't going to happen. She could not allow any man to take advantage of her again. 

*****

"You look beautiful." Elizabeth said as she stood with Jeannie surveying the bride.

Standing nervously in front of the full length mirror, Sam pushed her long hair over her bare shoulder, and studied her reflection. She wore a simple white gown with a long skirt that reached the floor, and off the shoulder lace sleeves.