Wyoming Winter - Chapter Twenty-Six

Dinner was over, the kitchen was clean, the kids were bathed and in bed. Gloria, the twins, and Sandra had begged for Brenda's kids to sleep over, so all nine kids were happy in the three bedrooms. 

"That went better than I thought." Scott commented as he opened a bottle of beer, and passed one to Brenda on the couch.

"Shouldn't you be hitting the road?" Brenda opened the bottle, and took a drink. "You've got a long drive." 

The doctor shrugged, "I'll grab a bunk at the bunkhouse and head out in the morning." He glanced at Sam, "Or maybe you'll let me crash on the couch." 

Sam studied the doctor from her place on the floor near the couch, "What aren't you telling me?" 

"What are you talking about?" 

She could be wrong, but Sam was fairly certain that Erick had asked the doctor to stay with her, "What's going on? Where is Erick?" 

Scott shrugged, "Not sure." 

"You're lying." 

Brenda twisted her head to look back at the doctor, "Does this have something to do with the fight over at the Domino?" 

"Shut up, Brenda." Scott turned away. 

"Shit. There was a fight?" Sam gasped.

"From what I heard, they had to shut the place down because of all the damage. A couple people went to the clinic for treatment, and a couple people were arrested." Brenda stated. 

"Did Erick get hurt?" Sam shot to her feet. 

"No, he's fine." 

"Did he get arrested?" 

Scott sighed, "Yes, he did, but he won't be in there much longer. Jake will let him go." 

"What was he arrested for?" 

"I don't really know." Scott sat his unfinished beer on the counter, "I haven't talked to him in a few hours." 

"What the hell is going on, Scott? I saw the video from the Domino, I know he was there. Now there's a fight and he's arrested. What happened? Why did he go there?" 

"You gotta know that if someone messes with his wife, he's going to do something." 

"This is because of that thing with Fred?" 

Scott nodded, "He went looking for answers." 

"Did he beat up Fred?" Sam was pacing in front of the couch, twisting her hands in front of her as she tried to get the images straight in her mind. 

"No. Fred's harmless. He really wouldn't have done anything to you when he confronted you, he was just drunk, and doing what he was told." 

"I knew someone sent him after me." Sam stopped pacing, and went looking for her keys and wallet, "I have to talk to Erick." 

"They'll let him go soon enough." Scott told her, "Just wait till he comes back."

"No, I need to talk to him now." This was all her fault. She had to see him, and know that he was okay. 

"That's not a good idea." Scott said. 

"Brenda, would you watch the kids, please." 

"Yeah, sure. I'll crash on one of the beds in David's room, I can listen for him tonight so you can get some sleep." Brenda answered.

"Thanks. Where's the jail?" Sam found her keys and wallet and reached for the door. 

"I really don't think this is a good idea." Scott put a hand on the door to prevent her from opening it. "You need to stay here where you're safe."