Wyoming Winter - Chapter Twenty-Eight

"Mama." 

"Mmm." 

"Mama." Small hands slapped her face.

"What?" Sam jumped up, startled from sleep. A cry from the floor beside the bed made her realize she'd knocked Heather over in her movement. "Oh, baby." Sam pushed back the covers and picked up the little girl. "What are you doing, baby girl?" 

"Sorry," Erick appeared in the doorway. "I tried to keep them away from you." He ruffled Heather's hair as the little girl snuggled against Sam's chest, "But this little one really wanted her mama." 

"Sorry, I didn't mean to sleep so long." 

Erick grinned, "I think you were just tuckered out from last night's activities." 

As she blushed, he headed for the door. "Apparently, Brenda went back to Jake last night." 

"What?" Sam grabbed her phone. It was barely six-thirty. "She just left?" 

"She told Gloria to wake us if the babies woke up, but yeah, she left with her kids sometime in the middle of the night."

"What a bitch." In the living area, Sam found David laying on a blanket in front of the couch chewing on a toy. His older sisters were running around chasing each other. "Girls, don't run in the house." 

They groaned, but stopped. "Why don't you get your boots and coats on and go outside and run around in the snow." Erick suggested. 

"SNOW!" The girls screamed excitedly. They ran to the front door and jerked it open to find a white wonderland outside. 

Sam stepped to the door behind them. A thin layer of snow blanketed every surface, and it was still falling, "Wow." She rested a hand on Gloria's head, "Did the babies wake up before Uncle Erick did?"

Gloria nodded, "I changed David and Heather's diapers, and gave them both their bottles." 

"Wow, look at you. Awesome job, big sis." Sam forced a smile. She didn't have any siblings, but she remembered taking care of foster siblings over the years. How many diapers did she have to change because the foster parents were only in it for the check and didn't really care about the kids.

"Heather was gross, she pooped." Gloria complained. 

"Yeah, that happens." 

"Uncle called Olly and he brought some stuff." Gloria pointed to a box sitting on the counter.

"You want to go outside and play for a little while?" 

"Yeah, but we can't miss the bus, cause we told Louis and Brittany we'd see them at school." 

"Your uncle and I thought you could stay home today, what do you think about that?" 

Gloria turned watery eyes up to Sam, "But Brit and Louis were crying when they had to leave, we promised we'd see them at school." 

Sam looked over at Erick who simply shrugged as he mixed eggs in a bowl, "Go play for a little while, and I'll call you when breakfast is ready." 

The girls rushed to get their coats and boots on before running outside, slamming the door behind them. 

Setting Heather in her high chair with some cereal, Sam went into the kitchen, "Do you need help?" 

Erick shook his head, "I thought I said go outside and play for a little while." 

She rolled her eyes, "I'm not a child." 

As she turned away, he grabbed her by the waist and kissed her soundly, "I think I know that, but you've never seen snow either. That snow isn't going to last past noon, so go play."