Wyoming Winter - Chapter Five

She didn't want to face him. 

Embarrassed by the fact that he had to come to her rescue, Sam was tempted to return to Elizabeth's house when her friend left later that night, but David changed her mind when he started crying for his next feeding. She didn't have the heart to leave the five-day-old to his inexperienced uncle.

She said goodbye to Elizabeth, and climbed the stairs, "Hey, little man." She picked him up, and changed his soiled diaper and clothes before carrying him downstairs to make his bottle. The kitchen light was on, and as she stepped onto the cool tile, she found Erick removing a bottle from the warmer. 

"It's ready." He said, handing it over to her. Wordlessly, she took it, and went to sit in the recliner to feed the baby, "Are you okay?" He sat on the couch. 

She nodded, "Fine." 

"It seems like you're in a lot of trouble." 

"I'm...um...sure you want me to leave. You didn't bargain for this when you accepted my offer to help."  

"It is unexpected, but..." 

"Here," She stood to hand him the baby, "I'll go." 

"Whoa," he looked at the baby as though it were a lit stick of dynamite, his hands raised in complete surrender as he leaned away, "I'm not asking you to leave." 

She returned to the chair, "I'd understand if you did." 

He ran his hands through his hair, "Look, I'm not trying to blame you for anything that happened. From what I heard you tell the cops, you didn't do anything wrong." 

She pursed her lips, "I'm not about to justify myself to anyone. If you want me to go, I'll go, but I don't want to talk about it." 

"I just want to make sure you're okay." 

She sighed, regretting her rudeness, "I'm fine. It was terrifying, and I'm..." She paused as tears threatened, "I will be eternally grateful that you came when you did." 

"I'm glad I heard you." 

She finished feeding the baby, and burped him, "I'll lay him in the bassinet here so I can get him in the night without waking you." 

"I think it's best if I take the couch, and you sleep upstairs." 

"That's not fair to you. It's your house." 

He shrugged a shoulder, "I'd rather be the one down here in case that guy comes back tonight." 

The thought hadn't occurred to her and a fresh sense of terror stabbed her, "Oh." 

"You can sleep peacefully, Sam." He said, "If he comes back, I'll blow a hole in his head." 

For a moment, she thought he was joking, or being macho, but the look in his eye told her he was completely serious, "Oh." She grabbed her bag and carried the baby upstairs. Laying him in his bed, she changed into a thin strapped tank top, and shorts before climbing into bed. 

As she climbed into the big bed, she heard the bedroom door creak open. Startled that it might be Erick seeking her out, she jerked off the bed, and switched on the bedside table. 

Sandra stood in the doorway, tears streaming down her cheeks, "Sam..." She sobbed, "I had an accident." 

"Oh, honey," Sam led the four-year-old into the hallway where her Uncle was taking the steps two at a time, with a concerned expression, and wearing nothing but a pair of loose fitting basketball shorts, "it's okay." 

"What happened?" He demanded, "I heard her crying." 

Reaching into the bathroom, Sam flipped on the light. The soiled stain on the little girls pajama bottoms was obvious, "I'll take care of it."