Wyoming Winter - Chapter Thirteen

As soon as he'd entered, Erick had gone into the bathroom, and the shower had turned on. Sam sent the five girls into the adjoining room to play while she waited for him. She was not going to let him get away with doing this shit to her. 

"I already took care of the horses this morning," He said when he re-entered the room in fresh clothes, "We can leave as soon as we get the kids fed." 

"Are you seriously going to just waltz in here and pretend like nothing happened?" 

He sighed, "Look, I'm sorry about last night, I got carried away." 

"Carried away? From what I saw and heard, it was a hell of a lot more than that." 

"I don't know what..." 

"Where did you sleep last night, Erick?" Sam stood with her hands on her hips in the middle of the room. Her entire body was trembling with anxiety, and fear knotted in her stomach. 

He swallowed hard, "I..." 

"Yeah, that's what I thought." She stalked past him, and grabbed her phone, "Here, these will jog your memory." 

After he looked through the messages, he tossed the phone on the bed, "That's bullshit, that didn't happen. I wasn't with Chloe." 

"Really, because you're in all those pictures, and videos and that's your voice on the audio." 

"No, it isn't. That's not me. When I left here, I went to the front desk and got another room. Then I went to the bar. I saw her in the bar hanging on some guy. I didn't leave with her. I went to my room alone." 

"How can you lie like this?" She held up the phone, "I have the proof right here." 

"I'm telling you, that's not me." 

"Bullshit." She turned on one of the audio files, "That's you." 

He rolled his eyes, "No, it isn't. I wasn't there." 

She bit her lip, "I understand why you did it. I wasn't..." 

"No," He shook his head violently, "I did not sleep with Chloe. I would not go find someone else because you didn't want to have sex. I don't do that shit." He reached for her, and she jerked away. 

"Don't touch me." She stepped farther away, "You tell me all these things, and then, the first chance you get, you go and screw...her..? That bitch who wants to take my place. What is this? Did the two of you plan this? Were you laughing at my pathetic attempts at kissing these past few nights?" 

"No, of course not." He reached for her again, but she jerked away, "Look, I left here because I knew if I stayed I was going to try too much, and I didn't want to scare you. I got drunk. Very...drunk..." 

"Sam," Gloria stood in the doorway to the adjoining room, her eyes filled with worry, "we're hungry." She said as her gaze darted nervously between her aunt and uncle. 

"Okay, sweetie," Sam shoved her hands through her messy hair, "tell your sisters to get dressed and we'll go down and get breakfast." When the child turned away, she held up her hands to Erick, "I can't do this right now." 

After changing her clothes, and getting the kids ready, she loaded the stroller with the two youngest. Erick carried Sandra, as the other three trotted ahead of them to the elevator. To outsiders, she imagined they looked like one big happy family, but when the elevator stopped on the fourth floor and Chloe Miller stepped on, Sam knew that was far from the truth. 

Standing in the center of the elevator with the stroller in front of her, her husband on her right, and his mistress on her left, Sam felt humiliated. How could he do this to her?