O N E - Have To Learn To Forget You

"Uh-huh, I'll be coming on the bus tomorrow at 11AM. You're still coming to pick me up from the bus stop, yes?" I asked my son, over the phone.

Yes, my boy, Zain. He had made me a very proud man, and father, over the years.

I was going to stay with him for awhile, as I hadn't seen him in months.

He had, with some moral support, & guidance from councillors; managed to overcome his thievery. He returned stollen goods, and became a man of good nature and morales.

He moved to London for University, at just the age of eighteen; and with a lot of hard work, determination, and persistence; he had passed topped of his class.

To top it all off, he had met a lovely artist named Geneva, in the fall.
The biggest gift to this world, was the precious angel, Lily, that had been born just three years ago.

My beautiful granddaughter!

After the House of Ashes catastrophe, that had been covered up by Government Agencies, & other secretive Organisations; I had chosen to flee the country with my son. We moved to England, after applying for Visa's.

My son, soon after, shifted to London for his education. I stayed in Brighton though, as it was a fairly charming, but beautiful wee town, filled with kind people.

As for the memories of that ancient Temple, and my feelings towards a certain brown-haired Marine; I had put those aside. To be specific, I had chosen to shove those memories and feelings into a lockbox, throw away the key, and chuck the box into the ocean.

That Temple was behind me, just like that man...but of course, I knew that the only person I was fooling, was myself.

My son noticed my obvious change in mood when I returned from my trip, and the way I'd zone out for minutes at a time, with a sad smile on my face.

My son had asked me multiple times about what happened in the Temple, and if my slowly darkening demeanour had anything to do with the people that had helped me down in the caves.

I remembered telling my son, "When I was faced with a life or death situation, it was impossible not to grow a bond with those who chose to help me!" but of course, that didn't stop the flood of questions. Zain, then went on to ask me if there was anyone in particular, that I wished that I could thank in person.

The only person who came to mind, was him.... Jason.

I refused to tell my son about him, though.

The kindness and selflessness Jason had showed. The way he was so arrogant, snooty, and closed off; yet humble and sympathetic.

Hell, I wish I couldn't remember his name... or his face.

I had tried too forget.

Hell, he could be dead, and I wouldn't even know it.

If he was dead, and I was to find out; I'd be broken.

The best thing for me to do, was to move on, and forget about him.

Even if he was still alive, he wouldn't feel the same way, as I did. It had been five years, after all. He probably wouldn't even recognise me in a crowd.

Even if I was the only other person in the world, he'd pass me by, and wish me ill.

Yes, the best thing I could do for myself, and my son; was to forget that Jason Kolchek even existed.

I hadn't forgotten about him in five years, but I'd keep trying. Eventually, I'd forget him.