Chapter 6 : What If...? (Part 2)

~~~~~

The next time Manik and Nandini met was during their first song recording. It was awkward for both of them. Nandini kept reminding herself that she has to focus on her job and not the one she was doing the job with, but Manik on the other hand didn't even try to do that. He made his admiration visible, making sure she was fully aware of his presence.

"Let's do this?" Manik asked.

"Yes!"

After an hour, both of them stepped out, tired of their work. They finally finished their first song together and it sounded heavenly.

"It's amazing." Nandini said, taking her headphones off.

"Yes! As I said, your voices blend together well. You two are the dream duo." The studio manager praised them for the umpteenth time that evening. Nandini smiled and looked away shyly while Manik pretended like he didn't hear it.

After a short break, he tried to approach Nandini to talk to her properly but he saw her busy on a call.

"Yes, Smaran. Okay, see you." Nandini said into the phone. When Manik heard the name 'Smaran', he let himself out of the room before Nandini could see him. After all, just because he called it off with Alya didn't mean Nandini would do the same.

~~~~~

Nandini sat in front of Smaran and kept nodding at whatever he was saying. She noticed how handsome he was, how expressive his eyes were. But nothing made her feel anything in her heart or made her heart race. Like it did with Manik. One touch of his, and she felt enthralled. It felt like his touch burned her skin.

She felt as though she was committing a sin as she thought about Manik. In a way, she was.

"Nandini?" She heard him call out her name.

"Yeah?"

"You zoned out."

"Yeah sorry! Actually I was just feeling very tired and sore." Nandini said. It wasn't a lie though.

"I think we should leave. You should take care." Smaran said with concern and Nandini's heart pinched. Why did she feel nothing but guilt?

Smaran dropped Nandini at her doorstep and looked at her with his standard smile. Nandini leaned towards him, intending to kiss his lips but ended up kissing his cheek and backing off.

"Good night, Smaran." Nandini said softly.

"Good night, Nandini." Smaran said, before walking off.

Nandini went into her room and changed into more comfortable clothes. Sliding between the sheets, she began to think about her life.

"What are you doing?! Leave me naa!" She whined sweetly.

"I am just romancing with my wife, can't you see?"

"Achha ji?"

"Haa!"

Nandini turned around and saw Manik staring at her intensely. She placed her lips on his and they kissed passionately, leaning against the platform in the kitchen.

Nandini woke up in shock. This was not what she expected when she decided to stop thinking about Manik outside of work.

"Aiyappa, I have to distance myself from Manik after the album. This is not good." Nandini thought worriedly and eventually fell asleep.

~~~~~

The day of the album launch finally arrived. Manik and Nandini had completed three songs together, as per their contract. The teasers were already trending, no doubt. They were given an option to be cast in a music video but they refused, owing to the fact that they were publicly engaged to different people and not wanting to ignite more sparks.