dekapénde

Five days at the palace passed quickly and easily and I found myself no longer wincing at the slightest mention of Marcella or waking up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat. I no longer crawled from place to place nor felt like I were about to shatter into a thousand pieces. Instead, I felt as though a huge burden had been lifted from my shoulders and I was myself again. 

And it would never have happened had I not met Andreas.

Every afternoon, whilst the Princess and his father argued incessantly about the alliance in the Council Chambers, he took me into the forest and showed me the beautiful landscapes he had found over the years. We swam in a crystal clear lake, hunted deer with bows and arrows and huddled close to each other for warmth as the sun dipped below the horizon. I told him of my life in Lycaon, though I still avoided the topic of my parents' deaths, and he told me the secrets and stories of his family that no one else knew. And whilst I felt bad every time I had to deny him his request to meet my wolf, it could have easily been one of the happiest periods of my life.

"You look beautiful," Octavia told me as I stood in front of her mirror, wearing the dress she had given me. Though I had initially protested, I had to admit that the dress was stunning. Made of expensive black fabric, it was intricately decorated with silver thread and hung down to my calves with a black ribbon tied around my waist to emphasise my hourglass figure. A pair of black leather boots tied up the whole ensemble.

"Why are you so insistent on me wearing a dress?" I questioned as I noticed the excited twinkle in her eyes. "What do you know that I do not?"

She smiled, reaching for a loose strand of my blonde hair and pinning it into place on my head. "That would ruin the surprise. All I can say is that I am quite jealous. I would much rather be going where you are going than sit in that stuffy chamber and argue with those arrogant mutts."

"Now I am more intrigued." My boots tapped against the hard, wooden floor as I walked across the room and I found myself lengthening my strides to test the limits of the dress to ensure I could fight in it. Then I reached for my sword and its holster, strapping it around my waist and ignoring the irritated look from the Princess.

"It does not match," she sighed.

I raised my eyebrows at her. "I am not leaving it behind."

"Yes, of course." She beckoned me over and handed an ornate gold necklace to me. Gently, I lifted up her raven locks and placed the necklace around her exposed neck, tying it in place. "Let us go now or we shall be late."

Nodding, my head rested on the hilt of my sword as I followed the Princess, scowling at the two lieutenants surprised faces as they took their places behind me and eyed my dress with curiosity and surprise.

The winding corridors were easy and quick to navigate and we swiftly arrived at the Council Chambers where I watched the Princess disappear from sight with a twinge of apprehension. But I knew she was safe. 

"You look beautiful."

I turned to face the handsome Prince, a smile on my face as I watched his eyes travel upwards and meet my own. "The Princess was adamant that I wear a dress," I told him. "It has been quite some time since I last wore one though and I am already missing my breeches."

"Well, I think you look like a Queen - my Queen." He reached out to take my hand and I entwined my fingers with his as I leaned into his presence. "I have a little surprise waiting for you, but I need you to close your eyes and let me guide you. Do you trust me?"

"Yes." I did not even hesitate to answer.

"Then close your eyes."

I gripped his hand tightly as I closed my eyes to the world. Without sight, I was completely exposed and vulnerable and the feeling made me giddy with anticipation. Though my hearing strained for the sound of steel, I could feel his presence beside me and that gave me all the reassurance I needed. I let my guard down and enjoyed the relief that gave me.