45| the silk cotton tree

You might wonder how a tree can be a folklore character. But for many centuries, the majestic towering canopy of the silk cotton tree (also known as the ceiba, kapok, or jumbie tree), has held a fantastical place in the lore of some Caribbean cultures.

The first peoples on Trinidad, the Amerindians, believed that the tree was a dwelling place for spirits and revered it accordingly. Later, when the Africans were brought to the island, they also bestowed a healthy respect upon the tree, even refusing to cut it down for timber. 

This refusal to uproot the silk cotton is still a persistent blight on matters such as town planning in the Caribbean. Engineers and other workers will simply refuse to remove the tree, even when it interferes with their carefully constructed plans!

Disturbing the malevolent spirits inside instills a great fear in many who grew up hearing stories about the tree's vengeance. According to the lore, if you have the audacity to chop down or cut away any part of a silk cotton tree you will be struck dead. Immediately. 

No second chances, no leniency, just death. Instantly.

Apart from this terrifying prospect, it is wise to give the tree a wide berth anyway. Other folklore characters are its cohorts, like the La Diablesse who lures men to it in the forests before killing them. Clearly the spirits inside just want to be left alone. 

Everyone likes their privacy, right?