46| papa bois

Papa Bois, also called Maître Bois, is the protector of the forest, the keeper of the trees, and the master of the animals. He is a well-known figure in the folklores of Trinidad, St Lucia, and Grenada and the husband of Mama D'Leau.

He is depicted as an African man with at least one leg ending in a cloven hoof, a beard made of leaves, two short horns protruding from atop his head, and is impressively muscular for his seemingly advanced age. Cementing his hybrid-like qualities, his body is covered with hair from head to hoof and he can run faster than forest creatures.

Hunters know to listen for the sound of a horn, which Papa Bois uses to warn the animals of their presence. They also know that if a wayward deer tries to lure you deep into the forest, never follow because it is most likely Papa Bois (transformed into the deer) trying to get you lost.

For the most part though, he is a benign presence who does no harm lest his domain is threatened. If you happen to encounter him anywhere, do not be afraid. Just like any fatherly figure, he expects politeness and courtesy. 

So bow respectfully and say "Bon jour, vieux Papa" (Good day, old father) and be on your way.