𝐗𝐗𝐕

"Darling," Pansy was saying, "you are one of the many things I should never find this beautiful."

Hermione sighed, stoic and expressionless. She tried her hardest not to break her focus from her toast, but Pansy was gradually getting closer and closer to her, so much so that she was almost leaning on her shoulder.

"You are a gift from the heavens," Pansy now had her palm resting under her chin, as if it were the only thing keeping her upright.

"Have you been stealing my poetry books?" Hermione said finally.

Pansy only laughed. "I knew you'd recognize it, darling. Andrea Gibson is my new favourite."

Ron grumbled beside me. I stayed closer to him than normal, just in case he needed restraining.

"Give it up, Parkinson," he said gruffly, "she has a boyfriend."

"That won't stop me from dreaming."

Hermione you placed her tea down rather harshly, causing an orangey liquid to spill over the edges.

"Look. Pansy, I'm really not attracted to you," she said in her most stern tone.

"Funny that," she laughed again, "I'm really not attracted to you, either."

"Then why're you–" Ron started.

"I'm in love."

Fuming, Ron and Hermione stood up and briskly left the Great Hall, arm in arm as Ron whispered something in her ear.

Pansy was not phased, only sipped her coffee in complete triumph.

Curious, I asked her, "Why do you do that?"

She looked at me with hooded eyes and smiled devilishly.

"It's fun watching them squirm."

"So you're not really in love with her?"

"Not love, per say. But I like her." She paused for a moment, then spoke quickly, "I promise, I'm not trying to take her away from your Gingersnap, there."

"So... you are actually..." I didn't really know how to phrase it.

"What? Gay?" she raised her eyebrows.

"Er– Well, yeah."

She brought her coffee mug to her lips, taking a gentle swig.

"Is that a problem?" she asked.

"No! No, o– of course not!" I said quickly. "It's just... Well, everyone else seems to think that it is."

She sighed, a great, heavy sigh. "Yeah, well. You can't please everyone, I suppose."

I nodded in understanding. That's basically the same thing that Dean had told me, just less harsh.

"Does everyone know?" I asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Like... Your friends? Family? I don't know."

She put her mug down, not really looking me in the face. Her ebony hair fell her in eyes as she fiddled with the rim of her saucer.

"My friends knew, yes," she spoke with a hint of woe. "Not my family. Merlin, I don't know what I would do if they found out."

"And—your friends—they were okay with it?"

"Oh yes. Mostly. Blaise and Theo were alright, of course Draco was. But I think I made Daphne a little uncomfortable at times, or basically any girl."