Chapter 7

"ALL RIGHT YOU LAZY NO GOOD MAGGOTS, TODAY WE'RE DOING THE VIRGINIA REEL!" Mr. Hatchet yelled at us. I sighed and he paired us up. Mr. Hatchet was from the military, so he's very old school and tried to keep it boy and girl pairing.

First he had Leshawna, Bridgette, Courtney, Zoey, and Me in one row and for the boys it was Harold across from Leshawna, DJ across from Bridgette, Duncan across from Courtney, Mike across Zoey, and Alejandro across from me. In another row I really didn't pay attention, but it seemed that most boys were paired with the girls. We began the dance and everyte me I was forced to get close with Alejandro, he began to smile. I don't think I need to explain the dance. Pretty much I got a couple stares from Duncan, but not many. After that we got split into teams for dodge ball.

Team A: DJ, Owen, Courtney, Duncan, Bridgette, Me, Mike, Zoey, Heather, and Lindsay.

Team B: Dakota, Alejandro, Justin, Sierra, Beth, Jo, Lightning, Noah, Jasmine, and Shawn.

I got to admit I was a little jealous of he other team, they had Jo, Lightning, and Jasmine, who were our schools top athletes. However we had Owen, Duncan, and Bridgette and they are BEASTS at dodgeball. Mr. Hatchet blew into his whistle and people began to throw balls like crazy. I hid in the back corner with DJ and Harold. We're not big on sports. After a couple people get out, Owen yells at DJ to come over, since DJ is also a beast at dodgeball. He somehow manages to get Lightning and Jasmine out and then walks back over to us.

"How did you do that?" I ask, dumbfounded.
"Aw it wasn't that hard." He said and blushed, that's the thing about DJ he's the biggest sweetheart on the planet. We continue until Jo hits Harold on the arm. He walks off and then DJ gets hit. I grab the ball and walk a bit closer, but I'm still towards the back.

"HOW DID WEIRD GOTH GIRL NOT GET HIT?!" Heather yelled in confusion. I could tell she wanted me to lose, and it seemed pretty much that was going to happen. I was against Jo. She's really strong and athletic, I look down and throw the ball. I didn't know if it her but I'm guessing I did because people began cheering. I looked up and there stood Jo with an ashamed face. I looked towards Leshawna.

"What the hell just happened?" I ask her.
"You just won the freaking game!" She squealed. I smile and she runs up to me and hugs me. The boys cheer because they're dumb jocks and Courtney and Bridgette congratulate me. Heather scoffs and so does Lindsay.
"Oh come on Heather, we know you're happy that we won." Bridgette teased. She walked to the locker rooms and Lindsay and Dakota followed her. We all laughed and Duncan kept smiling at me, I tried to remind myself that I just won a dodgeball game and we were on the same team, but it was no use I kept thinking towards the dirtier side. It was 10 minuets before Gym ended and we went back to the locker rooms, me and Courtney kept chatting. I almost forgot that I kissed her boyfriend, and I remembered when she began to talk about him.

"Look I don't know if I can date him anymore. I mean I still like him a whole lot, but it's my parents. They keep nagging me about it." She states and I sigh.
"Courtney, is any other boy taking over your thoughts?" I warmly ask. She nods and blushes.
"Two things. First who is it? And second what are you going to tell Duncan?" I ask her.
"You know that farm boy Scott? He's been stealing my heart, and I was planning on breaking up with Duncan, I can tell he likes someone else, I just can't figure out who he likes." She answers and begins tapping her fingers against the locker door. I begin to change in my normal clothes and she quickly does the same. After we finish we head out of the locker room with Bridgette and Leshawna. We meet up with the boys and pretty soon the final school bell of the day ended. Courtney, Duncan, and I head to his red truck and hop in. He drives to Courtney's house first, dropping her off, giving her a kiss goodbye. When she enters her home he speaks.

"Do you want to sit up here with me?" He asks. I nod and unbuckle my seatbelt, open the backdoor, close it then open the shotgun door, buckle myself in, and close the door. Duncan starts the engine and drives off from Courtney's house. I think he's driving me home until I see he parked outside of his apartment. I remembered that our house was getting renovated and Seth was staying at some friends house and I agreed to stay at Duncan's house. We take the elevator to level 3 and walk over to door 8. He unlocks the door and shouts.

"Mommy Gwen and I are home!" I blush. is it just me or is it cute how he's 16 and still calls his mom "mommy."
"Ok Dunky!" She yells from the kitchen and we head to his room. I place my stuff down and sit on his bed, he sits in at his desk and begins to stare at me.

"What are you looking at?"
"You're just so beautiful." He murmurs and I blush. Pretty soon he got out of his chair and walked over to the bed and crawled on top of me. My heart began to beat really fast. He smiled and kissed me. I suddenly found my arms rubbing against his back and I could feel his hands starting to pull of my crop top. I quickly gained my senses and shoved him away.

"What are you trying to do Duncan?"
"Nothing. I just like you, a lot."
"YOU HAVE A GIRLFRIEND!" I yell at him and he smiles. He gets off of me and picks up his phone and calls someone.
"Um Hey Courtney." He begins. "Look I've got something to tell you." He continues. "I really like some other girl and I think we should break up." I imagine that Courtney would scream but her end of he line stayed quiet and Duncan then hung up. He tossed his phone on his bean bag chair and crawled back on me.

"I can't believe you just did that." I say to him.
"So now that I'm single, may we continue?" I began to think. I mean he was right it wasn't like he was committing adultery or anything, but if anyone found out it could seem like I tempted him to break up with Courtney. I looked at him and shoved him away from me. I can't do it, not just after a break up. I like Duncan a lot, but not in this way. I grab my back pack and head out of his room and headed towards the living room. There was his Dad on the couch reading some book, and his mom in the kitchen preparing dinner. I sit at the barstools and open my black binder. I get my math note book out and a spare pencil. I flip my math text book to a certain page and begin to right the homework down.

"Hello Gwen." Duncan's dad, Jerry, says.
"Hi Mr. Carter" I respond.
"Oh please you know you can call us Jerry and Fiona." Mrs. Carter replied.
"No than you Mrs. Carter." I answer nicely. I wasn't raised like that, my mom told me to call someone Mr., Mrs., or Ms. out of respect.
"What happened between you and Duncan, Gwen. You two are usually inseparable." His dad asked, not looking up from his book. I stop writing what x equals if y=-3x+8 squared and began to ponder.

Do I lie to keep us from getting in trouble or come clean? Mr and Mrs. Carter weren't that strict of parents, however I couldn't seeing my mom okay with it, so I decided to come clean.

"Well what happened was-" I begin off, turning to Mr. Carter "I was doing my homework and Duncan came up on top of me. I tried to get him off, but he kept urging that we do um..." I begin to fade off, I don't know if I should go any farther. Mrs. Carter looked up from chopping the lettuce and looked at me.
"Gwen honey, did Duncan try and force you to have sex with him?" She asks kindly. I turn back to her and nod. She looks towards his bedroom door and sighs.
"'Maybe we should've sent him to Saint Joseph's." She murmurs. I look back down and try and finish my homework. Suddenly Mrs. Carter goes back to cooking dinner and Mr. Carter comes up to talk to me. He sits in the other bar stool and turns towards me.

"Gwen, how are you feeling?" He asks. I try not to look at him, but I can feel his warm eyes staring at me. I turn my head to him and shrugged.
"You don't have to be so strong Gwen, sometimes it's good to show your emotions." He adds and I give a sad sigh.
"I don't know what to feel anymore." I begin off. "With my dad gone off in Afghanistan and the house being renovated, plus my mom is working her butt off now, I kinda seem... invisible." I say and Mr. Carter hugs me. I begin to sniffle and then cry. With my dad off fighting in the war and my mom constantly working the day and night shift at her job, I kinda feel the weight of the world in my shoulders as I have to take care of Seth and I.

"Shhh it's okay Gwen, that's it, let it out." He says and comforts me. It feels nice to open up to someone, letting all those horrible feeling come out. Pretty soon Mrs. Carter asks me to set the table and I do so. Mr. Carter helps and pretty soon the table is set for four. Mrs. Carter knocks on Duncan's door and tells him dinner ready. He opens it and comes out to the dinning room. It's a small table with four chairs and a bench. I sit in the bench and pretty soon he sits next to me. I didn't bother to look at him, even though my eyes keep wandering back. Even after what happened I'm still crazy of this jerk face.