Chapter Five

The night, which came quickly, was peaceful without any disturbance of his sleep. None of Lady Dimitrescu's daughters came to tease him like last night, and somebody else also didn't force him to wake up before it was early morning.

But then, exactly at 7:30 o'clock, Ingrid started to beat a large drum in the middle of the Main Hall and made so much noise that Mike jumped up and thought that the house was going to collapse.

"What the hell is this?"

"Mike, where are you?"

Even before he could even put his pants on, Bela ran into the hall and told him that everybody in the castle, including him, must take part in the meeting in the main hall.

"What kind of meeting?"

"We have a lot of trouble in the village." She explained. "And you must come; my mother especially asked me to inform you."

"Wow, wait, what kind of trouble?"

"A case of nasty disease. Put on your clothes quickly and come."

After hearing about what she just said, Mike was more than certain that the meeting wouldn't be anything else than the introduction of quarantine.

He was right. In the main hall, about 20 maids were already there. Daughters Bela, Daniela, and Cassandra were warming themselves near the fireplace and waiting for the rest of the staff and their mother to come. At the same time that Mike arrived, she walked down the stairs and stopped in the middle of the room. All the girls were twaddling or having simple small talks; nobody of them was worried and sad like an outsider who knew that he would be imprisoned for an unspecified time.

"Is everybody here now?" Dimitrescu spoke five minutes later and looked around.

People in the hall went quiet. No more talking or twaddling were heard.

„That's good." She resumed after walking a few steps and quickly counting all her staff.

"In the name of Mother Miranda, I have to tell you all that yesterday evening, a case of bacterial plague was discovered in the southern part of the village."

This statement was a shock to all maids. Women started looking at each other and talking over each other, and some of them even burst into tears. Just like someone very famous and important had died very unexpectedly.

„Quiet, please!" Alcina ordered. "The situation is not lethal, as nobody has died yet. Only one man is infected by an unknown source, and he is already isolated. I don't know who he is or what his health condition is, but I have to say that Mother Miranda, who has protected this region for generations, has imposed a total quarantine that means everybody has to stay on their properties. That means nobody will also be able to go outside of this castle until the situation is under control. No opening doors; no going home or with friends in off-duty time. And no contact with outsiders. Understood?"

"Yes, my lady!" All the women responded at the same time, like soldiers in the army.

„Good!" Lady Dimitrescu spoke. "You all may return to your duties now. Except our roof climber."

Mike watched as all of these women went away in fear and anguish. He felt really bad for them, as most of them were from the same village and had families at home. They can't go see them, and when the lockdown is not enough, the plague kills most of them, and they can't even go to their funeral. When they left, he was standing near the stairs and looking at the lady, who had a slight grin on her face.

"Yes, my lady, I understand that I can't go home. Isn't it?" Mike spoke.

„Unfortunately, yes." Alcina nodded, her grin growing bigger and more evil. "But don't worry; I will find a new duty for you. We still need man-things."