chapter fourteen

The day after the last day of school, Genevieve Austina Clairmont was driven to a private airstrip. She then was escorted on a plane by her father himself and sat on a long twelve hours to a mystery country. She only later found out that she was in France, and the return ticket was dated for the night before school started.

She'd been kidnapped by her own parents, for the entire summer.

Only to later find out that she wasn't kidnapped by them, she was dropped off because the morning she woke up in their cottage in Northern France, she found her father gone.

See you. He wrote. No time, no date, just an ambiguous "See you".

Day by day, she went and wondered how her friends were specifically how Tristan was. Their last conversation left her confused and wanting more answers.

"Genevieve," He said, noticeably drunk, Louise had a party for the entire school, and the two of them were in a little corner together. The entire party became muted in their ears as they stood in front of each other.

"Yes?" She said, as the designated driver.

"Are you good at keeping promises?"

"I'm the best at them." She whispered.

"Remember the promise we made when we were eight?" He asked.

"Not at all," She said, and he pouted.

"Well you better remember it," He said.

"What is it?"

"Shhhhh," He laughed.

Now that Genevieve was actually back in her own bed though, she had no problem dozing off without any overthinking. France was nice, but France didn't have the comfort of knowing the people she loved were a car ride away. As she began to slip off into sleep a loud bang on her balcony sent her flying out of bed and on the floor. Her heart beating loudly in her ears, and worry pumping through her veins.

"Calm down it's me," Tristan said, she slowly peeked up from her hiding spot and saw him standing with a bag in hand. Instantly, she jumped over her bed and into his arms, taking in the moment.

"We gotta stop meeting like this," Tristan whispered, she could tell that he missed her as much as she missed him by the way he refused to let go of the hug.

"You just broke into my room?" She said, laughing.

I missed that laugh. He thought.

"You've been gone all summer!"

"Yeah that's how vacation usually works." She said, "Well according to my father,"

Tristan went around her and flung himself onto her bed, "Tell me about your summer,"

"Your uniform better be in that bag, because it's a long story," She said, climbing in next to him, leaving a great distance between them, "So I wake up at the ass crack of dawn to my father in my room telling me to pack my bags..."

. . .

"I'm gonna visit Luke tomorrow," Genevieve said on the drive to school, Tristan looked over at her and made a face.

"Going on a tour of Connecticut now that you're back?"

"No, Rory's mom invited me to dinner as a welcome back,"

"When did she have the time to do that? I've been with you all morning,"

"She called me while you were showering," She said. He turned his focus back on the road at the mention of the shower incident from earlier that morning. Turns out, her entire room was cleaned while she was gone, and the towels hadn't been replaced. So Genevieve had to play a game of Marco polo with Tristan to hand him a towel. His face grew red with teenage thoughts of her in the same room as his naked self-.