chapter twenty three

"This is embarrassing," Tristan said, the two sat in his car with the windows all the way rolled up. Genevieve frowned and punched him in the arm. He pulled his sunglasses down and looked at her in a judging manner, "You lost a bet to Rory. That's embarrassing."

"Tristan..." She said in a warning tone.

"Embarrassing." He said and unlocked his car, "I can't even stand the sight of you right now."

"Oh don't make me kick you in your neck." She slapped his arm.

"You couldn't fucking reach." He gasped.

Genevieve chuckled, "You're the human form of a headache," she opened his car door and got out, "Please don't forget to bet."

"I'm gonna start small to make other guys think they have a chance." Tristan said.

"That's a thousand dollars in your hand." Genevieve narrowed her eyes, "You shouldn't have to use more than a hundred."

"I'm gonna get mugged." Tristan said suddenly. Genevieve rolled her eyes at him and closed the car door. She made her way to the gazebo and handed her basket to Taylor who whistled when he lifted the top of the basket off.

"We'll start shortly." He said.

"The sooner the better," She muttered, "I want my Saturday back."

She stood near the back of the crowd as she hoped to avoid Rory.

"I told you she'd come!" She heard Rory's voice come close to her.

Well. Life wasn't always fair.

"Here I am," She forced a chuckle, across the field, she saw Jess and Dean glaring at each other. Tristan— in fact, was entirely out of sight. She hoped and prayed to whoever was listening that he was still there.

The bidding soon began, and Genevieve found herself growing more and more annoyed at the fact that her basket still wasn't up yet. Yet, she did feel a sense of longing when someone purchased Sookie's delicious-looking basket.

"Now, this next one may not look like much..." Taylor held up a comically small basket.

"Mine." Rory said.

"... but remember, good things come in small packages!" Taylor said, "Let's start the bidding at three dollars."

"Hey!" Rory frowned.

"Five dollars," Dean said from the bidding side of the crowd.

"Ten dollars!"

Genevieve flinched when she heard Jess' voice in the crowd, she certainly did not take him for someone who would be at the basket event.

"Fifty!" She heard Tristan lazily call out. She chuckled to herself as she saw Jess and Dean panic at the sound of his voice.

Tristan of course had no plan on actually bidding on Rory, but the sheer panic that he caused when he added forty dollars to Rory's small basket was too funny to pass up.

"Sixty." Dean said.

"Seventy-five." Jess called out.

"Eighty." Dean said, without hesitation.

"Eighty?" Taylor said, "Going once... going twice... sold!"

Rory let out a sigh of relief and walked over to Dean whose face was considerably red.

"Now, we have this beautiful basket— and if I weren't holding the auction, I'd buy this myself!" Taylor said, "Starting bid, fifteen dollars."

There was silence for a second.