chapter twenty two

Genevieve never knew how such idiotic people made it into the Franklin. The fools who didn't know the difference between active and passive voice, the correct your/you're, and there/theirs/they're all surrounded her. She felt herself growing angrier and angrier as she filed through the articles.

"We just won't have a publication this week." She muttered. Everyone stilled. They were already walking on eggshells around her and Paris after the previous week's copies had a typo that the final team forgot to correct even after the two of them pointed it out.

"Why are we the only ones who care?" Genevieve said, letting her head hit the table with a loud 'thump'.

"You're not the only ones who care." Rory said.

"No, you're not included." She pointed to the small pile of four articles. Delphine, Rory, Paris, and her articles all passed the check. The other 13 articles sat on a bigger pile, ready to be thrown at people if necessary.

"It's just a contest Genevieve," Louise said, "Not like you get a car of a lifetime supply of Rice-a-Roni."

"I can afford a car, and a lifetime supply of Rice-a-Roni." Genevieve said, "I cannot afford The Oppenheimer Award for Excellence in school journalism. It's a contest, and a statement. A statement that Chilton's only won once. It means you have the best editors, writers, and reporters- this..." She pointed to the larger pile, "Makes me want to go into a depressive episode!"

"Our paper is good..." Rory said.

"Not good enough!" Paris waved her hands around

"Last week's issue."

"Was an issue." Genevieve said.

"It was a fine effort by a bunch of kids."

Madeline sat down at the table, "We are a bunch of kids."

"A bunch of loser kids." Genevieve said. "Flesher Prep Gazette, Broadmouth Banner, Richmond Heights Chronicle- they live by a weak mindset. The mindset that we are kids and that we can't make good enough content for real life."

"She's lost her bloody mind." Delphine murmured.

"We need to raise the bar. We need to be better!" Paris said.

"Paris is gone too." Madeline said, "Bye-bye."

"When's the deadline?" Rory sighed.

"One week from today." Genevieve said, circling the date on her calendar.

"Okay, so, then we better get brainstorming. Does anyone have an idea for a theme?"

"Preferably one that wins, please." Genevieve said.

"Big help." Rory commented.

"I want three ideas- three good ideas by the end of today. On my desk, if not- well you don't want to know what happens if you don't."

. . .

If someone told Genevieve that she'd be sitting on a bus to Stars Hollow the year before, she would have probably cursed at them. Alas, there she was, on public transportation, with her lovely car sitting in the Chilton parking lot.

Paris was convinced that there was some sort of 'seedy underbelly' to Stars Hollow, ignoring how both Genevieve and Rory told her that there wasn't much of anything there.

"I'm gonna have to burn my clothes when I get home," Paris watched as the bus drove away.

"You know Paris, you have a car." Rory said, turning to Genevieve, "You have one too."