chapter twenty four

Genevieve couldn't breathe.

Her copy of Pride and Prejudice, the one where she basically confessed her love for Tristan, was missing.

Gone. Poof.

She didn't know how it could have possibly disappeared, or how it could've left her room since she checked on it more than she checked on herself. The night before, she took it out to read it as an escape from her dad and Weston arguing and put it back in the second drawer of her nightstand, the place where she already stored it. The next morning, she slid the drawer open and saw that it was still there. So she headed to school like normal. Tristan smiled at her at school, so naturally, it reminded her of a scene in the book. She immediately made her way up to her room and to her drawer, to find that it was empty.

She'd be ruined if he read those little annotations.

Her head was spinning as she pulled her phone out of her pocket to call Delphine, "My book's gone!"

"What do you mean?" She said, but her mouth was full of food so it sounded more like a 'Whufdoyoumee?'

"My copy of Pride and Prejudice, the one in my nightstand."

"Ohh, the one where you confessed your love to Tr-."

"Stop speaking. Shut up. Never speak again. No." She said, "I can't see you right now, but I know you're grinning, stop it."

"Okay, okay," She said, "Serious time: When did you last see it?"

"This morning, before school."

"When did it disappear?"

"I noticed it was gone like two minutes ago."

"That's not a very wide window of opportunity." Delphine hummed, "Did Weston take it?"

"No, he left last night."

"Mom?"

"She's in Russia right now."

"Sisters?"

"No, they know better." Genevieve said. Her two younger sisters never even crossed her mind for it, they got along fairly well.

"Grandma?'

"No." Genevieve said, she began pacing around in frustration.

"Housekeeper? Maid?"

"They're only here on weekends...And my fucking key is gone!" Genevieve said, "Goddamnit!"

"Chill out." Delphine said, "Other than me, who else knows about the book of love?"

"Don't call it that!"

"Answer."

"Literally just you, Lin, and Hestia." Genevieve started biting the inside of her cheek, "And Weston, but we cleared him out."

"Okay— maybe it was just misplaced?"

"HOW?" She yelled down the phone.

Delphine flinched on the other end and held the phone an arm's length away from her face, "I have no idea how to help you."

"Fuck!"

. . .

Genevieve got a cumulative 1 hour of sleep that night. Her stomach was flipping with anxiety as she wondered what exactly happened to the book. She felt foolish for writing her name in it and addressing Tristan by name. Never did she expect to lose the book. She told herself that she was going to murder whoever took it because there was no way in hell that it could have been misplaced.