Bloody Nose

HARRY POTTER

"So what was Draco doing with that weird looking cabinet? Why was Mira there, and who were all those people? Don't you see? It was a ceremony, an initiation."

"Stop it, Harry. I know where you're going with this."

"It's happened. He's one of them. But there's no way Mira could possibly be one too."

"One of what?" Ron questioned, interacting with the conversation. Hermione chuckled, turned her head to him, and said...

"Harry is under the impression Draco and Mira Malfoy are now death eaters."

"You're barking. What would You-Know-Who want with Malfoy? And you know Mira would never. She's a sweet girl, too innocent for her own kind."

"Her own kind? Really, Ronald?" Hermione glared at Ron, turning a page in her book.

"Well then what're they doing in Borgin and Burkes? Browsing for furniture?"

"It's a creepy shop. Malfoy's a creepy bloke."

"Look, their father is a death eater. It only makes sense. Besides, Hermione saw it with her own eyes."

"I told you, I don't know what I saw."

They're never gonna agree with me, are they? "I need some air." I stood up, grabbed the wrapped up invisibility cloak, and carefully walked to the side of the train with Slytherin. Course he'll be there.

But there she was. Mira was staring out the window, seeming completely zoned out. Daphne and Blaise looked as if they were trying to get her attention, but she just ignored them.

Two girls walked passed me, completely eyeing my every move. I had remembered what I was here for, so I put the invisibility cloak over my head and body, grabbed the dark shiny rock in my pocket, and tossed it.

You couldn't see a thing. Black dust spread everywhere, everyone panicking. I took this as my chance and hurried to the top right above where Mira and the rest of them were sitting.

"What was that? Blaise?"

"Don't know."

"Relax you two. It's probably just a first year messing around. Sit down. We'll be at Hogwarts soon."

Mira told Draco and Blaise, still seated, along with Daphne. Draco sat down next to Mira, Blaise next to Daphne.

"Hogwarts. What a pathetic excuse for a school. I think I'd pitch myself off the Astronomy Tower if I had to continue for another two years."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Let's just say, I don't think you'll see me wasting my time in Charms class next year." Blaise chuckled. "Amused, Blaise? We'll see just who's laughing in the end."

I scooted up more, slightly moving Draco's bag. I got in a more comfortable spot, and waited until we finally reached Hogwarts.

MIRA MALFOY

Blaise grabbed my hand, stopping us before we could walk into the Great Hall. Everyone was eating, we missed the Sorting Ceremony, and there were students everywhere; walking into the Great Hall or out.

"Are you sure you'll be okay? We can miss the feast too if you're not ready."

"I can handle another year. If I can make it through five years, I can make it through two more. I'll be okay."

Blaise held me back. "Wait, your nose... it's bleeding. Your nose never bleeds."

I shrugged, cupping my nose until we got to the Slytherin table. Daphne handed me a cloth to wipe the blood, and Dumbledore started speaking.

"Very best of evenings to you all. First off, let me introduce the newest member of our staff, Horace Slughorn. Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say, has agreed to resume his old post as Potions Master.

"Meanwhile, the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be taken by Professor Snape." Students other than the whole table of Slytherin murmured, our table applauding. That was, besides me. And Draco.

"Now as you know, each and every one of you was searched upon your arrival here tonight. And you have the right to know why. Once there was a young man, who, like you, sat in this very hall, walked this castle's corridors, slept under its roof.

"He seemed to all the world a student like any other. His name? Tom Riddle. Today of course, he's known all over the world by another name. Which is why, as I stand looking out upon you all tonight, I'm reminded of a sobering fact.

"Every day, every hour, this very minute perhaps, dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's walls. But in the end, their greatest weapon is you. Just something to think about. Now, off to bed. Pip-pip."

I was the first to get up from my table, and hurried out the Great Hall. Suddenly, I was pulled to the side, but not by Blaise. Harry.

"You've been ignoring me. Why?"

"Harry, I can't do this right now."

"You never explained to me what was going on when I left the Manor. I was worried about you, and you never wrote me back."

"I'll tell you when I'm ready. I really have to go, Harry."

"Just tell me now, Mira!"

"My father knows about us. Draco found out, somehow owled him, and now he doesn't want me seeing you anymore. We can't be together anymore, Harry. I'm sorry."

I lied. Of course I have to lie. What's he even on about— did he not get my letter?

"Why are you letting him control your life? We can still be together, he doesn't have to know. No one has to know."

"Harry... I just... I can't. Maybe it's best if we stay away from each other. I'm sorry." Harry wanted to argue against it, but he had no words. I couldn't stand seeing the hurt in his eyes, so I left.