Chapter 3: Jobs Week

Today, Kazuya and Kenji had to go to the wedding to play music for the ceremony and they had some time to spare. So right now, they were all dressed up in their suits playing a bit of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. While they were gaming, Kenji started up a conversation.

"Hey Kazuya?" He started.

"Yeah?" Kazuya replied.

"That song you wrote, what made you write that?" Kenji asked.

Kazuya paused for a bit before speaking, "Can you keep a secret?"

"Uh, sure" Kenji replied.

"You see, there's a girl that I like whom I met after my first break up" Kazuya explained, "She's a great person and we've spent quite a lot of time together"

"I see" Kenji commented.

"The problem is, I don't know if she feels the same way for me and all I'm doing is chasing something I can never catch" Kazuya ended.

"Is that why you named the song Centimeter?" Kenji questioned.

"Yeah, it has a symbolic meaning and a literal meaning" Kazuya answered.

"I see, have you ever told her though?" Kenji asked.

"Almost, but I was afraid I messed up, so I kinda said something else" Kazuya said in slight embarrassment.

"All I can say is that you will never know the answer until you try" Kenji advised, "I didn't know if Miyuki would like me and now, we've been dating for almost 2 years"

"I see, that makes sense" Kazuya agreed.

"We'd better get going, wedding is about to start soon" Kenji exclaimed, looking at his watch. The two got up, turned off the Switch, grabbed their instruments and made their way to the train station.

At the wedding

The two were currently sitting at their respective spots on the sand by the beach while everyone else in the wedding was taking their place. Kazuya looked around and thought about the engagement ring his grandmother gave him. Thinking about it, he would like to be married to Chizuru one day. Just then, they were told that the ceremony was about to start so they got themselves ready to play Canon in D. (Kazuya is 1st Trumpet, Kenji is Trombone)

https://musescore.com/user/21544986/scores/4115086

As the brass quintet played the music, people walked down the aisle. The music complimented the scenery of the peaceful beachy area with the blue ocean and clear sky. As they kept playing, Kazuya noticed that some of the audience members started tearing up. After roughly a minute, the bride to be came walking and everyone stood to watch. Once the wedding was over, the musician packed up and left.

"That was a great wedding" Kazuya exclaimed.

"It sure was" Kenji agreed, "Maybe someday, Miyuki and I will be up there while some of you guys play our music"

"I'll have it the same way for my wedding" Kazuya replied as the two of them laughed.

2 days later

Kazuya and Kenji were leaving a recording studio that they booked to record the song that Kazuya wrote a while back. Currently, they were walking through a shopping centre carrying their guitar and bass respectively on their backs. They were making their way to the food court to order some lunch.

"I was told that for the show we will be in on Saturday" Kenji started, "We're allowed to reserve tickets for people we want to come"

"Really, is there a limit?" Kazuya asked.

"Not that I know of" Kenji answered, "Though it would be great if my mum came to watch"

"I see, so I can reserve tickets for anyone" Kazuya stated.

"Yeah, got any in mind?" Kenji asked.

"I don't know" Kazuya replied, "Which one is this by the way?"

"It was a medley for Nintendo since it will be Mario's 35th anniversary" Kenji explained.

"Ah yes, I'm excited" Kazuya commented. After getting their food and sitting down, Kazuya wondered if he could invite Chizuru and his friends to the show. He wasn't planning on revealing what he did but, maybe, because he didn't know when this opportunity would ever come again.

The next day

Kazuya sat patiently in his seat on the stage. Him and the rest of the group were currently waiting to start the performance at an anime convention for the day. They were hired to play Cruel Angel's Thesis from Neon Genesis Evangelion for the fans. Once the cue to get the instruments ready were signalled, everyone got into position. Akane was on Alto Sax 1, Asahi was on Tenor Sax, Miyuki was on Clarinet 2, Masanori was on Drum set, Kenji was on Trombone 1 and Kazuya was on Trumpet 1. Miyuki had recently learned how to play the clarinet and was getting used to playing it. (I forgot to say this last time, I do not own the sheet music)

https://musescore.com/rd_/a-cruel-angel-s-thesis-yoko-takahashi-draft-the-cruel-angel-s-thesis

This was fairly difficult for Kazuya to play since this was the highest, he's ever played on his trumpet. There were times where he had to play very high notes and it almost took his breath away. Luckily, he managed to keep his composure and play along. Everyone in the crowd enjoyed the music and danced along to it. After the show, Kazuya was walking back to his apartment now, tired after playing for so long. He was listening to the song he wrote on his phone until he found a package in front of his door.

"Is this what I think it is?" Kazuya said to himself.

Picking up the package, he went into his flat and put it next to his table. After putting away his trumpet and hanging his jacket, he grabbed a box knife and opened the package. Inside was a black music case like his trumpet's, but it was slightly bigger. Opening the case, he pulled out a Flugelhorn.

"Nice, I can play some things with this" Kazuya commented. Eventually, he practiced around with it, playing a few notes first before moving onto playing some actual pieces.

That night

Kazuya was tuckered out after doing his usual grocery shopping and busking with his guitar after losing a bet he did a while back. Returning home, he put away his groceries and guitar then headed into the shower for a wash. Doing jobs under the Institute paid him really well, so he was able to afford some better groceries and not have to live on instant meals, packet food, and snacks. Getting out of the shower and putting on his clothes, he went to his laptop to finish up some work for an assignment. After finishing in about 20 minutes, he heard his doorbell ring.

'Who could that be?' he thought. Getting up, Kazuya opened the door to find Chizuru standing there.

"Hi Mizuhara, something up?" Kazuya asked.

"Can I come in? We need to talk" Chizuru answered.