Chapter 8: Practice Makes Perfect

It was the middle of the afternoon and Chizuru was currently visiting her grandmother at the hospital. Luckily for her, Sayuri was due to leave the hospital in a few days. Knowing this, Chizuru was excited to take her to one of Kazuya's shows in person. After telling her about Kazuya's music career, Sayuri was very much interested and watched a bunch of the videos that were filmed. This led to her wanting to see it in person once she is out of the hospital.

"I'm so glad you and Kazuya have such a healthy relationship, he really has a big effect on you" Sayuri commented.

"Yeah, he sure has, I've been enjoying being with him ever since" Chizuru replied.

"By the way, do you know when his next show will be?" Sayuri asked.

"From what I remember, he told me that there will be a large show sometime next week" Chizuru explained, "He said it will be the biggest the institute will ever do because they are playing three separate scores"

"Well, I am excited for that" Sayuri exclaimed, "But I do hope he is spending time with you"

"He is, he just needs to practice" Chizuru assured her.

"Well, I am getting tired right now" Sayuri told her, "Do take care dear"

"Will do Grandma" Chizuru said, leaving the hospital.

Later

Chizuru had left the train station and was making her way back to the apartment. It was nearing sundown but was still bright enough to call it daytime. Upon arriving, she heard the distinct sound of a trumpet playing in her home. Smiling at the sound, she opened the door to see Kazuya practicing by himself. His sheet music was perched onto a stand and his phone showed the metronome app tapping to the beat. Thinking it was a great idea, she surprised him by snaking her arms around his waist.

"Chizuru?" Kazuya exclaimed.

"Hello dear, how's practice?" Chizuru asked. Kazuya smiled at that because he always loved it when she called him dear.

"It's been great, I managed to get the first score done" He replied, "I just need to do the second and third one later on"

"I'm excited to see what you have in store for all of us" Chizuru exclaimed, "Is your family joining?"

"They sure are" Kazuya answered, "Ever since I did so well with my music career, they've been supporting me now"

"That's great to hear" Chizuru said happily, "You going to keep practicing?"

"I think I'm done for now, I really need some food right now" Kazuya said sheepishly.

"Alright, I didn't want to eat alone anyway" Chizuru commented. Kazuya put away his trumpet to have dinner with her then.

A few days later

Kazuya, Asahi, and Kenji were at the Institute currently practicing with the other Trumpets, Saxophones, and Trombones. Since they were the entire wind section of this musical medley, they thought that practicing together would really be helpful. They really felt like they played the music well despite the lack of percussion and strings to accompany the pieces. Overall, it looked like they were ready for the day. Afterwards, the three friends were leaving the Institute to catch a break.

"Man, we did really well today" Asahi commented.

"Yeah, I cannot wait to play on the big stage" Kenji agreed.

"I'm sure we will do great" Kazuya exclaimed.

"Hey Kazuya" A feminine voice called out.

Kazuya immediately froze, knowing that familiar voice. Kenji and Asahi could tell that Kazuya did not like the sound of that voice by the expression of his face and his silence. The three turned around to see Mami Nanami right behind them. Sighing, Kazuya decided to speak up.

"Hello Mami" Kazuya greeted, "How are you"

"Great thanks, I didn't know you were a musician" Mami replied, "You're really good"

"Thanks" Kazuya thanked.

"So, these are your friends that work here" Mami exclaimed, "Hi, I'm Mami"

"Uh, hi, my name's Kenji" Kenji introduced.

"And I am Asahi" Asahi added.

"You guys must be very talented" Mami commented.

"Thanks, but we gotta go" Kenji explained.

"Ok, see you later" Mami said, leaving.

"I can see why you do not like her" Kenji exclaimed.

"Yeah, I hated forcing those sentences" Asahi added.

"Well, I'm glad you guys stuck by me" Kazuya thanked.

"No problem, bro" Kenji told him. The three laughed and went to have a break.

The Next Day

Kibe and Kuri decided to visit Kazuya at the Institute to see how his practicing was going. Since they weren't members of the Institute, they could only watch through the window. They can hear from it; it just didn't sound as prominent. Either way, they really enjoyed listening to the practice session.

"Man, Kazuya is good" Kibe commented, "I wish I could play like that"

"Well, we can always dream" Kuri laughed.

"Hi guys" A voice called behind them. The two turned around to see Chizuru with a large bag in her hand.

"Hey Chizuru, what are you doing here?" Kibe asked.

"I made lunch for Kazuya, so I came to give it to him and spend time with him" Chizuru answered.

"That's good to hear" Kuri exclaimed, "He should be finishing up soon"

Just as he said that, Kazuya left the room and greeted them all. The couple then left to go to the outdoor benches to have lunch together. Finding a table, they sat down, and Chizuru brought two packed lunches for them. Opening it, Kazuya was met with a delicious looking bento box.

"Wow, this looks great" Kazuya complimented.

"Thank you, I spent a lot of time making this so we could have a great lunch" Chizuru explained.

"Cannot wait to dig in" Kazuya said, grabbing some food and eating, "Mmm, this is delicious"

"Thank you" Chizuru thanked, "So, is practice doing alright?"

"Yeah, we are ready to play for sure" Kazuya answered.

"Cannot wait to see you perform" Chizuru said happily. The two went onto eating the rest of their lunch, excited for the medley.