̗̀♡ sheriff x hurt reader

for @crispy_bonnie :}
just a couple drop of angst in here

he didn't know this was how it'd turn out. someone he admired so much getting hurt because of him. god, he was such a coward. if only he he somehow warned you faster, or in some unlikely miracle stopped the bullet himself, none of this would've happened. "it's fine" you sucked in your breath holding your shoulder. "things like this happen all the time". right now, sheriff was standing helplessly over you with trembling hands as you sat in his office chair. he insisted on carrying you there despite you assuring him you could walk on your own, but his guilty conscience wouldn't let him.

he found some old medkit in one of his drawers and, god how did this thing work? he fumbled with the locks until it exploded open, nearly dropping all the contents on the ground. he crouched down on all fours, picking up the gauze pads that spilled out. but he didn't come back up. he stayed glued to the floor, tears pricking the corners of his eyes and he was so so afraid of you seeing him like this. it was only until he heard the sound of you shuffling from your seat that he had the strength to lift his head.

you stood in front of him. "get up", he languidly raised himself, still not wanting to look you in the eye. you took the hand that didn't have the bullet lodged in it and caressed his cheek, immediately making him look at you. the look in his eyes was so remorseful, drooping down into a dejected frown. "this isn't your fault at all, and the wound isn't even that deep. stop beating yourself up over it, okay?" he put a hand over yours and sighed. "still wanna make it up to ya" he lightly guides you back to the chair, barely touching you as if you'd break right then and there.

you've never seen the sheriff so serious in your entire time with him. his gaze was so laser focused on you it felt like he could bore holes in your skin. but at the same time, it was sweet. his touch was so delicate, and you'd think it was because of his guilt, but it was more than that. he loved you deeply, and maybe one day he'd have the guts to tell you with his own chest.

i'll have to make sheriff headcanons soon