Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

When I awoke – with a pounding headache – I was alone in a cold bed. I cringed, rubbing my temples, as I sat up in the bed. I remembered everything from the night before, yet, I didn't understand why I had acted like that.

Of course, I knew that it was the Wine that had caused me to act like that – but I still questioned the choices I made. I blushed as I recalled calling Layton a 'cuddly bear' and slept on his chest for the night. I was beyond mortified; but Layton seemed to enjoy my cuddling, which surprised me greatly.

After I had taken some headache tablets, to curb the hangover, I had a bath and then returned to sleep. I didn't do much throughout the day; simply relaxed and recovered. I didn't hear anything from Layton, until he returned that evening.

"What's for dinner?" Those were the first words out of his mouth – and I hadn't prepared anything. I gave him a blank look, staring up at him in obvious fear. I hadn't made him dinner, I didn't realise I needed to.

Seeing my expression, he sighed heavily. "We'll order in, but tomorrow you start cooking" he instructed me. I immediately nodded yes, blushing from disappointing him. I glanced up at Layton, from behind long lashes, and notice the large purple bags under his eyes.

"Are you alright?" I asked, worried slightly. Layton worked awfully long hours, and he was always serious. I wondered if all the work he did – to keep the Endoro pack up and running – was effecting his health.

Without thinking about it, I raised my hand and placed it on his check. I ran my index finger under his left eye, along the creases of the tired bag, frowning as I did so. It was only as Layton froze at the contact, that I realised what I had done.

"Sorry" I apologised, dropping my hand and stepping away. Layton looked down at me, frowning, before he gave me a quick nod.

"There's a pizza menu in one of the draws in the kitchen" he said, before turning away and walking upstairs. I took a deep breath, clearing my head, before I got the menu and ordered a pizza.

I waited on the couch, flicking the TV onto to some reality show. I wasn't really watching it. When Layton returned, he had showered and re-dressed into something casual. He ran a hand through his wet hair; as he took a seat next to me.

"Turn this shit off, and put the game on. Then, sit on my lap" Layton snapped, sounding angry. I quickly changed the channel, putting the football game on for him, then cautiously looked at him. Layton raised his arms, making room for me. He gave a deep growl when I didn't obey.

I quickly moved; shifting my body so that I was positioned on his lap. His arms slipped around me, as I leant onto his body. His muscled chest and arms surrounded me like a cage, cocooning me into his large body. As if it was an automatic response, I rested my head against his shoulder.

"I want to mate you" Layton announced suddenly, eyes never waving from the football match. "But, I won't" he continued, no doubt being able to hear the pick-up of my heart beat. "I have changed my mind. I will no longer give you a week, I will mate you the moment I smell your desire".

I thought over his words for a few seconds, "but you haven't smelt my desire yet".

Layton finally moved his eyes away from the football match, and looked down at me. "No, because you have yet to feel any desire towards me. But, I will find a way to make you feel it. Even if it kills me, I will make you want me".

I gulped deeply, eyes cast to the downwards as my cheeks brightened. It scared me to think about what would happen if I didn't feel any desire towards Layton any time soon. It wasn't that I didn't find Layton attractive – because I did – it was that I was still scared of him. I knew that; it would take me a while to no longer be scared of him. To no longer fear the Blood Alpha.