Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

The following Monday, the police were still hanging around. So Layton made the decision to move the entire pack to Gresall Pack territory – for the Full Moon. It was just too dangerous to shift into our Wolf forms around so many humans.

So, we packed a weekend bag and all headed off. Layton hired two buses for the majority of the Pack Wolves, and the rest of us drove. Due to Layton having a few last minutes things to do, we stayed behind until the following day.

The Endoro Pack was quiet with just Layton and I, and a few male Wolves who volunteered to stay behind. It was risky for them to do so, but it was even more risky to leave the territory in the hands of the police. So about five men stayed behind.

"Do you still hurt when you shift?" Layton asked me, as we put our bags into the car on the Tuesday morning. Every male Wolf shifted on the first Full Moon after their sixteenth birthdays, whereas the She-Wolves shifted on the first Full Moon after their eighteenth birthday. The earlier shifts were the most painful.

I had only shifted six times since my summer birthday, so it was still painful. But, nowhere near to the degree of the first Full Moon after my birthday. It was excruciating – every bone in my body breaking and reforming. I screamed and screamed and screamed, until I passed out. I didn't enjoy shifting; because of how much it hurt.

"I'll be with you" Layton said to me, seeing the small bit of fear slipping into my eyes. We got into the car, and I flicked the radio on. "I told you I don't like the radio on" Layton snapped, as he started the car. I sighed loudly – showing my annoyance – as I flicked the radio off. "Don't try that attitude with me" Layton snapped, growling angrily.

"What are you, my mother?" I sassed, folding my arms over my chest. Layton snarled at me, showing his teeth in a feral manner. There was a thick moment of tension in the car, as Layton began to drive.

For about half an hour of the drive, Layton and I drove in an awkward silence – Layton's eyes focused on the road ahead, and mine on the passing landscapes. "I'm sorry" I whispered, realising how rude I had been to talk to Layton the way I had.

"It's okay" Layton nodded, "we're both on edge. It's the Full Moon tonight, our emotions are all over the place. We never meant to get angry at one another, we both understand that, so let's just leave it".

I nodded, before leaning over and pressing a kiss to his cheek. "Sorry" I said again.

"It's forgotten" Layton told me, reaching over and taking one hand in mine. Our conjoined hands rested in the middle arm rest – our fingers absentmindedly playing with one another. "Are you excited to see your family?" he questioned. I didn't answer. "Gemini, I asked if you were excited to see your family".

"The day after we first slept together, I called my mother". I paused, biting my bottom lip.

"And?" Layton prompted. He was getting short tempered with me again – due to the Full Moon – but he was trying to contain it.

"And she told me that she didn't want anything to do with me anymore". I tried to shrug it off, but I felt the sting of tears in my eyes. Your mother was supposed to love you unconditionally, yet, my mother didn't. She pushed me to find a mate, and then when I did – she shunned me for it.

"Why would she say that?" Layton demanded. He sounded furious; his fingers whitening from how hard he gripped the steering wheel.

"Because I'm mated to you". My voice was small, and child-like. I knew Layton already felt like he was bad for me – he had told me on many occasions – so I felt bad for telling him that it was his fault my mother disowned me.