Chapter Twenty Eight

Everything went in slow motion; the fall, the shot, the blood splatter and the scream. Valentine had seen the gun before me, and he had dived to the floor – grabbing me as he went. The both of us fell; our sides hitting the hard, uneven, ground as the gunshot ran out.

I heard Layton shout a large 'no' behind me, as he ran towards us. Valentine groaned in pain, from the fall, as I screamed out. Antony paused; before he looked down at his gut. The bullet had been aimed for my chest, but he was taller than me. The bullet had hit his mid stomach.

"No" I screamed, as I jumped up and ran to his.

"Gemini get down" Layton screamed, before I saw him in front of me. One moment Layton was running towards me, the next he dived at Thomas. I didn't look, but I could hear them fighting. I was too busy looking at Antony.

"No" I cried, as I grabbed a hold of him. But I was too weak to hold him up, as we both fell down together. I slumped on the floor awkwardly, as he landed on top of me. I was crying, Layton was fighting, Valentine was shouting and Antony was dying.

I wrapped my hands around him, pressing them onto the wound. Scarlett blood covered my pale fingers, and I let out a heavy sob. "It hurts" Antony choked, struggling to breathe through the pain.

"Just hold on please, we'll get you to a hospital" I willed, hands shaking as I tried to press down harder – stopping the blood rushing out. It didn't help any; there was too much blood. "Layton, help" I shrieked.

I didn't get a response, so looked away from him and up to where Layton was. He had Thomas in a choke hold; his large hands around Thomas' neck. There was a heavy pause before Layton snapped his hands to the left – breaking his enemy's neck instantly.

Thomas' body collapsed to the floor. Dead. I didn't scream, I didn't cry, I didn't react. I was too sad about Antony to even care that Thomas was dead. Valentine was also shouting; I glanced over to see him trying to get the old man to leave.

Layton noticed that too, and wasn't happy. He sprinted over, before killing the old man the same way he had Thomas. It was obvious Layton was angry but I didn't mind – I, too, was angry.

I turned back to Antony, who I realised had gone limp in my arms. His eyes were closed, and his breathing had silenced. "Antony" I said, shaking him slightly. He didn't reply, and his head lopped to the side. "No, Antony, no". I raised my blood soaked hand to his neck, and felt for a pulse. There wasn't one. "No, you can't, you can't be".

I pushed him off my body, and lay him flat on the ground. Sobbing hard, covered in blood, I began to preform CPR – my hands pushing on his chest, as I cried. After four presses, I sealed my mouth over his and pushed my breath into his lungs. I did that twice, but it made no difference.

"Antony, wake up" I screamed; almost as if I was angry at him for dying. I began to panic that his heart had been stopped for too long, and manically began to speed up the CPR. I knew I was acting desperately, but I was desperate.

Antony and I hadn't gotten on when I first met, but we had grown to be friends. He was the only friend I really had, except for Valentine, and suddenly he was dead. I had made a special bond with Antony; we respected one another, and understood one another.

"Gemini stop" I heard Layton say behind me, his hand resting on my shoulder.

"No" I screamed, shrugging his hands away from me. My entire body was shaking, and I was terrified, but I carried on trying to restart his heart. Tears were blurring my vision, making everything seem hazy and obscure.