Chapter 15

Joe's POV

I'm currently sitting in my living room, with Asia, Jason, and Nicci. We're waiting for the rest of the family to show up. I'm sipping on a half glass of Irish Whiskey to take the edge off. It helps relax me. I didn't want to host a dinner party. I just want to get this over with, but Asia talked me into having them over for dinner. Then once she got Jason on board I had to do it.

We were all sitting on the sofa drinking and talking.

"Nicole, how are you gonna set me up like that? You said you were coming and then ghosted me." I say, remembering how she set up the talk with Bruce.

"I'm sorry, I got called in at some last minute to work." She explains, sipping her beer. "How'd it go by the way, we never discussed it." She asks

"He didn't understand where I was coming from, and he put his hands on me, so I flipped him on his ass, and walked out." I summarize.

"Yeah, I never seen dad go down like that. I was scared for him." Jason says

"Damn, Joe." Nicci says. "I'm sorry, bro." She says, hugging me.

"It's cool. I'm over him. I'm only hosting this because mom asked." I say honestly.

I hear the door open, and look over. It's mom and Ms. Tia.

"Hey momma!!" Nicole says getting up, sitting her beer down, hugging momma.

"Hey, momma's baby!!" Selma says, hugging and kissing Nicole.

Jason is greeting Ms. Tia, and Asia and I are seated on the sofa. She looks at me expectantly, sitting her beer down, before pulling me to my feet. She places a kiss on my lips, before walking us over to the parents.

"Hey, momma." I say hugging her, glass still in my hand.

"We already started, huh?" She asks, hugging me.

"I'm just sipping." I say

"Hey, Superstar!" Ms. Tia says

I can't help but smile. "Hey, ma." I say, pulling her into a hug.

"Can you let your father in the gate? Security isn't letting him in." Ms. Tia says.

"Okay." I say, taking my phone from my back pocket.

I dial the number, taking a long sip, letting the strong liquor glide down my throat, before putting the phone to my ear.

"Hey....Yeah. Let him through....Nah, not yet...I'll let you know....Alright." I say hanging up.

"He should be on his way." I say, downing the rest of the vodka.

Nicole and Jason lead them to the dining room.

"Water?" Asia says softly only for me to hear.

"I'm good." I say, "I'll stick to beer. Okay." I compromise.

"Alright." She agrees. "If you feel overwhelmed or get too upset, look at me, and I'll help, okay?"

"I don't want him saying anything disrespectful to you, or even talking to you for that matter." I confess. "Thank you, but I'll handle it. We're in my house now." I say

"Yeah, but he's still your father, babe." She explains

"So." I say, before hearing a knock on the door

I walk to the door, and open it. It's Bruce.

"Hey, son." He says

I just stand back, opening the door, allowing him to walk in. He comes in, and I close and lock my door.