7.Where You Stand

*Flashback to 8 years ago*

*Fwoosh*

At the end of a day in a school parking lot, a small shot of flames burst in front of two girls in an older year group, making them fall back as cinders caught onto their shoes. Between them and the younger girl they had dragged back here to coerce for some cash, stood a char stone figure immersed in fire, pointing his finger in a pistol motion.

HeatBlast: You losers got nothin' better to do than pick on some kid?

Bully 1: T- the hell are you!?

HeatBlast: I'm the guy who's gonna smoke you if you ever bother her again, got it? Now take off.

HeatBlast then flared the cinders at their feet, spreading their jeans as they frantically swiped at them to put it out.

Bully 2: Argh! Damn you Tennyson!

Though it would be briefly forgotten years later due to its unbelievability, it was fairly well know at Ben's old school that he had alien powers.

HeatBlast: It's HeatBlast, but since I know you have trouble listening I'll say it again... BEAT IT.

As the Pyronite's dry voice peaked, so did the cinders crackling into a flame before vanishing in a flash, scaring the older girls off.

HeatBlast: Ha guess I'm too hot to handle!

As HeatBlast turned round met with a less than thankful response. The girl in the same year as him had stumbled over as he turned round, her eyes were filled with a shaky disdain as she mumbled something getting up.

HeatBlast: What's with you?

Bullied Girl: F- fr-

HeatBlast: ?

Bullied Girl: Freak...

HeatBlast: Huh!?

As one of HeatBlast's eye sockets widened in confusion his Omnitrix began to beep as he timed out revealing a 11yr old Ben Tennyson.

Ben: I just helped you out!

She flinched at his peeved tone.

Ben: W- what? Stop looking at me like that...

Teacher: Hey you kids!

A teacher came running over and his jaw dropped at the scene; a student on the verge of tears, scorch marks all over the asphalt and...

Teacher: TENNYSON!

Ben: Aw man....

Later in the reception Ben uneagerly waited outside in the corridor as the shrieking of the bullied girl's mother could be heard complaining to the principal. He was considering ducking out whilst no one was looking and going home but as he got up he was greeted with a familiar voice.

Max: How are you Ben.

Ben: Grandpa Max, what're you doing here?

Max: Oh, I told your folks I was in the area and could pick you up... Then they get a call saying you got in another fight... Ben-

Ben: They were picking on some kid!

Max: Ben-

Ben: I can't just let them get away with that! they had to be punished!

Max: Ben!

Ben: ...

Max: You've been doing a lot of good son, and believe me I know how you feel, But you've been fighting criminals- not kids. It's not their fault they don't know any better...