Chapter 15: Birthday Presents

Malyn

Nellie woke me up as she was cooking breakfast, but I didn't get up. Instead, I laid there, thinking about last night, which had been the best one I'd ever had so far. My body literally ached at the thought of never getting to experience that with him again. But at least I got him for one night, which was better than none at all.

Then, I thought about Jace and how we had expressed our love for each other only hours before I shared myself with Beau. It's like I had become a slut overnight. I kept trying to tell myself that this situation was different. What happened between me and Beau would've never have happened under normal circumstances... I don't think. But it happened, nonetheless, and I was glad it did.

I continued to think about last night for a while longer when a thought occurred to me. Would Grandmama know? She always seemed to be able to read my mind, even though I knew she couldn't. But, still, it gave me cause for concern. I knew there was only one way to find out.

I got up, grabbed my shorts out of my bag, and headed into the kitchen. "Good morning," I told her as I walked past her and into the bathroom.

"I wondered when ya were gonna get up. You're usually up soon as the eggs hit the pan," she said before starting to sing one of her usual tunes.

"I had my head covered up with my blanket, blocking the light out, so the smell eluded me," I told her when I came out of the bathroom, hopping on one leg as I tried to get my shorts on. I sat down at the bar, watching her cook.

She looked at me over her glasses, making me nervous. I tried to remain neutral, not giving off any kind of vibes. "Ya okay?" she asked.

"I guess so, why?"

She turned back around and finished cooking. "I just worry about ya. I figured you'd have a rough night last night."

If you only knew. "I'm okay. Just trying not to think about it, really."

"That's best, sometimes."

I heard my phone ring, so I ran back into the sunroom to get it and kicked the edge of my present Beau had given me. Seeing it again made my heart ache. I picked up my phone, which had stopped ringing, and saw that it had been Beth. It was early for her to be calling, but she was off today, so I assumed she wanted to do something.

I picked up my phone and Beau's present and walked back into the kitchen. "Did you see this?" I asked, trying not to cry again, holding it for her to see.

She smiled and nodded as she walked over and took it out of my hands, holding it up in front of her. "It's beautiful. I hadn't seen it since he added the color. He's so talented." She looked at it for a minute before she handed it back to me. "When did he give it to ya?"

"Last night. He told me it was for my birthday, but since he wouldn't be here, he gave it to me early." I laid it on the kitchen table and sat back down, scooping another spoonful of food into my mouth so I didn't have to say anything else.

My phone rang again. "Who's callin' ya so early?"

I told her it was Beth as I picked up my phone. "Hello?"

"Hey, girl, you wanna come over to my house today? It's supposed to be hot, hot, hot. I can come pick you up." How could she be so cheerful this early in the morning?

"Sure. When do you want to come get me?"

"I'm gonna run and get some breakfast, so I can come now. Are you even up? You sound like you're still asleep."

"Yeah, I'm up. Just come on over here and eat. Grandmama made breakfast and there's plenty."

"Okay, I'll be over in a bit." She hung up, not even bothering to say bye.