Chapter 2: Goodbye Nashville

Today had to be the longest day of my life. Every class seemed to drag on forever. I thought I'd be sad, leaving my school and all my friends, but I was wrong. I'd miss my best friend, Melissa, who I call LeLe, but I know we'll still text and talk, so it shouldn't be too bad—I hoped.

I wasn't gonna miss my big school, though. And I couldn't wait to see Grandmama. She'd been gone to East Tennessee for two months, now, which seemed like two years. I liked Aunt Margaret and her family, but it just didn't feel like home without Grandmama there. She called before school this morning and confirmed my plans for the trip to our new home later. It was only around a four-hour drive, but you'd think that I was traveling across the country.

"Okay, ya have your bus ticket and know where to catch it, right?" Grandmama was scared to death I was gonna get on the wrong bus and end up in California.

"Yes. I have my ticket and I know when and where to go. Margaret is taking me to the bus station and said she'd sit with me until my bus arrived." That seemed to pacify her.

"Okay. I paid extra money so ya could ride on a nicer bus. I think it even has a TV so ya won't get bored, but call if ya need me. I'll be right here all day till ya get here. Just call when ya get close and I'll be waitin' on ya. I love ya."

"I love you, too."

She had always taken good care of me and made sure I had everything I needed. But she also made sure I wasn't spoiled. She said she couldn't stand rotten kids and that I was not allowed to become one. Even though she had money, she lived a modest life. She said people left her alone that way.

I had packed up all my stuff earlier that week so I'd be ready to go as soon as I got out of school. My bus left at four o'clock, so that gave me an hour to get to Margaret's, get my bags, and head to the bus station. I was excited about my trip. I'd never ridden on a bus like that before. It was my idea to take a bus and it took some convincing with Grandmama before she agreed that it was the best option. I didn't want to worry about her driving all the way to Nashville just to have to turn around and drive all the way back.

Margaret met me at the door when I got home and said the car was loaded and ready for us to leave. I thought she was anxious to get rid of me until I looked at her. She looked like she was about to cry.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm just gonna miss you. Nellie moving away was tough enough. Now, you're gonna be gone, too. We like having you here." Margaret loved her family. Grandmama was the only sibling she had and I know she hated it when she moved away. She cried the entire first day that Grandmama left. I did, too, but knew it wouldn't be long before I'd be right back with her, unlike Margaret, who thought she would never see her again.

"You know she'll be back before too long. She loves the music here too much to stay away." That was true—she wouldn't be able to stay away from Nashville for too long.

"I know, but I still hate y'all being so far away," she admitted as her eyes dropped to the floor, probably hiding tears. She turned and headed into the kitchen to get her keys. "You have everything? Your toothbrush? All your clothes? The ones hanging in the laundry room? All your stuff out of the bathroom?" She kept on naming everything I owned, and some things I didn't.

"Yes, I've packed everything. If I forgot something, I'll just go shopping and replace it. Maybe I should forget a few things on purpose," I joked, trying to lighten the mood. It didn't.

I learned more about Margaret on the ride to the bus station than I thought possible. She didn't stop strolling down memory lane until we sat down to wait on the bush. Then, she just looked at me, smiling a sad smile, like she was trying to memorize my face.