Chapter 3: Insecurities

Beau

When Malyn got outta the car, I about died—again. She was beautiful, with long, dark, straight hair that glistened like water does when the sun hits it. She was short and appeared to be thin, but it was hard to tell 'cause her clothes were so baggy. She had on a pair of jeans with the legs cut out of 'em, which was odd, but looked good on her. Her shirt was bright orange and looked like she stole it from a pretty big fella. Her skin was pale, like a porcelain doll, which really made her light brown eyes stand out. I'd never seen anybody like her in my whole life.

I tried to stay hidden from her like Nellie told me to do, but I wanted to follow her so bad. I wanted to hear how her voice sounded, how she talked. I didn't know why I had to hide in the first place. It's like Nellie forgot that livers can't see me.

I watched Malyn go in the side door, but I stayed outside. I was afraid that if I snuck in Nellie would know I was there or that Malyn... I don't know. Maybe Malyn was like Nellie and would know, too. That would be nice. But, even so, I stayed outside and waited. Even though I knew Nellie couldn't do nothin' to me, I had respect for her, so I did as I was told. If she wanted me to stay away, I would.

When I heard 'em comin' outside, I moved to the side of the house so I could watch 'em and hear what they were sayin', but stay out of the way. Malyn went straight to the swing that Nellie had attached to the trees. She seemed to have trouble gettin' in it, which almost made me laugh out loud. After a few minutes, I heard Nellie say somethin' about her likin' it here and I listened for her response.

"No, I don't like it—I love it. You couldn't have picked a better place for us."

I agree. Nellie couldn't have picked a better place. For once, I didn't want to scare the intruders away from my home.

Nellie turned and headed back toward the car. When she fussed at Malyn to help carry her stuff in, Malyn slowly tried to get up from the swing. She was finally out of it and walked down the path near the flower garden when she stopped to look at the flowers. I leaned around the house to get a better look at her when, all of a sudden, she turned towards me. I wasn't used to bein' seen, so I was slow to hide till I realized she was lookin' right at me. I moved like lightenin' back around the corner of the house to hide, wonderin' what made her look my way. Then I heard her mumble somethin' to herself as she walked away. Here we go again? What was that supposed to mean? Did she see me? Is that why Nellie said to stay hid, 'cause she can see me? I had to know.

I waited until Malyn was busy in her room before I went in and found Nellie. She was foldin' laundry in the main room. I passed my hand through hers to get her attention. She shuddered and smiled but continued to fold laundry.

"I wondered when you'd come outta hidin'. I guess I should've told ya before she got here today. I wasn't sure that there was a need to, just yet, though, so I waited to make sure. After talkin' to her when we got up to her room, though, I knew I'd have to talk to ya about her."

I hoped that she'd start makin' sense soon, 'cause, so far, I wasn't followin'.

"Ya know how I can sorta feel things? How I can sense when you're around?" She paused like she was waitin' on me to answer her. When she didn't continue, I reached over and passed my hand through hers again. "Well, Malyn can't feel things; she can see 'em. She saw ya today. She said she couldn't make out anything but a dark shadow. I guess ya moved too quick. But I did tell her about ya. I hope that's okay." I was so surprised by what she told me that I just sat there. "Is that okay?"

I touched her hand again. It was more than just okay. I wanted to meet Malyn, but I then I felt self-conscious. What did I look like? What if I was scary? I did drown, so there's no tellin' how I might appear. What if she saw me and I scared her so bad that she wanted to leave? Maybe I didn't want to meet her after all.

"So, are ya ready to meet her?" She reached down and grabbed another towel. "I'm a little anxious, myself, to see how this goes and see if I can find out who ya are."

I sat completely still. I, in no way, wanted her to think I was sayin' yes.

Realizin' that I wasn't answerin' her, she asked again. "Do ya want me to introduce ya to Malyn?"

No. I don't want her to see me.

I guess Nellie understood that I was sayin' no 'cause she simply nodded and said, "I understand. I'm sure this is all new to ya. Just take it slow and, when you're ready, just let me know. But ya do realize that she can see ya? Unless ya hide forever, you're gonna have to meet her sooner or later."

Right now, I was choosin' later.

* * *

It was dark outside, so I decided to stay out of the house. I figured she wouldn't go wonderin' around outside at night, so I should be safe. I laid on the tree swing for a while, lookin' at the stars. I didn't have as much trouble gettin' in it as she did, but it didn't move around with me like it did her. It's fairly easy lyin' and sittin' on things. Now, tryin' to go through 'em was a different story. It took a lot outta me when I went through stuff. And I could go through almost anything except for the ground. I tried stickin' my foot into it one day just to see if I could, but I couldn't. I couldn't pass through the border of our property, either. I tried goin' with my family when they moved away. I followed 'em for a bit, then I just stopped. They kept goin', but I couldn't. It was the last day I ever saw 'em.

Not wantin' to remember my past and feel sorry for myself, I got up and occupied my time with some of the animals that had decided to wonder out. The night time went by faster than the days did. I guess it's 'cause it's creepier wonderin' around at night and that's when all the critters came out. There were so many snakes here that I got kinda bored with 'em. I was lookin' for a skunk or a coyote, but none ventured my way. All I got to do was startle a couple of deer that were bedded down in the nearby field.

Before I knew it, the sun was startin' to come up. I went down toward the river and sat on my stump to watch the sunrise and to think. I had a decision to make. I was stuck here. I didn't know why, but I was. I couldn't leave or go anywhere else. She knew I was here and I knew that I wasn't gonna be able to play hide and seek for the rest of my... whatever this was. So, I guess Nellie was right—there was only one real decision I had to make. Was I gonna meet her sooner or later?

The sun was peekin' up over the mountains when I got up to go inside and see what the livers were doin'. As I turned around and headed up toward the house, somethin' in the upstairs window caught my eye. When I looked up and saw what it was, I froze. Malyn was an early riser.