Chapter 29: Gifts

Malyn

I couldn't believe it was only two more weeks until summer break was over. The summer had gone by way too fast and I was dreading starting my senior year at a new school, especially since I despised the only other people I knew besides Beth. LeLe was coming to visit next week, so I hoped she would be able to take my mind off of it all. If not, Beau always had a way of being able to take my mind off things.

He said that being in my body after coming back from the Darkness had been the oddest experience ever. Not just physically, but mentally. He said I had so many emotions rolling through me that it had almost made him dizzy trying to keep up. He didn't tell me about how he'd felt my feelings toward Jace until after we got back home.

"I know ya loved him, and that ya still do, sorta. I know it's different now, though, and I understand it better. But I still don't trust him." He made sure to add that part. "He has no respect for our courtship. None at all."

I scooted myself up in the hammock, cuddling up as close as I could against him. We had only been back from Savannah a few days, but it felt so good to be back home. As beautiful as it was down there and as much as I liked seeing Max, that place had worn me out.

Max got to go home from the hospital and promised he'd call if he needed us. Even though she didn't say anything, I could tell Grandmama was still worried about him. He said that as soon as he was back to one hundred percent he'd come up and visit again for a few days. I knew she'd hold him to it.

"I guess I need to go get ready for work." It felt like forever since I'd been down to the marina and I missed Beth and the regulars I'd gotten to know.

"Oh, I forgot ya had to go back today." He spoke softly, almost like what he said was just a half-thought.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothin'," he replied. I could tell something was bothering him. I sat up and looked at him, raising my eyebrow, causing him to grin. "What?"

"What's wrong? I can tell something's bothering you."

His smile fades as he bit his bottom lip. "They still want me."

I knew who he meant. Chills went down my spine, causing me to look over my shoulder for a brief second. "What makes you think that?"

"I can feel 'em. It seems like I'm havin' to watch my back all the time. It's like, since they had me there, they want me back." He shook his head. "And I don't know why."

I thought about it and he was right. It's like everywhere Beau went, so did they, even all the way down to Georgia. "I don't know why either. But they ain't gonna get you. We won't let them. Well, as long as you don't go attacking anyone again." I laughed, trying to lighten his mood.

"Nope, don't think I'll be doin' that again, seein' as how it didn't go as planned last time."

I slowly rolled off the hammock and turned to look at him. "Try not to worry about it." When I bent over to kiss him bye, he pulled me back into the hammock. "Beau! It was hard enough getting out of this thing once, now I gotta do it again." He kissed me, making me not care if I ended up on the ground the next time I got up. But, of course, I didn't have to worry about that. He flung me over his lap like I was a rag doll and stood up, letting me slide down him to the ground.

"I love you, Beau."

"I love you, too, Miss Reed."

* * *

When I walked into work, Beth squealed and ran to me, throwing her arms around my neck. "I'm so glad you're back." She took a step back so I could breathe. "I've missed you so much! The next road trip you go on, take me with ya."