Chapter 30: My Life

Beau

As I held Malyn in my arms, I couldn't help but smile. I did pretty well. She seemed to really like my surprise, no matter if it was late. She told me that I couldn't have picked a better song to dance to. Luckily, it had been listed under her favorites on her music thing. When I listened to the words, I knew it was the one. It had become one of my favorites, too.

I started to get sleepy, which was still an odd feelin' after goin' without feelin' that way for so long. I didn't realize how much I'd missed it. As I nestled down next to her, I hoped that Nellie wouldn't get mad that I was about to accidentally fall asleep in Malyn's bed. Listenin' to her sleep, smellin' her hair, feelin' the soft skin that ran down her side, it all made me want more. I wanted to marry her.

I knew I wanted to marry her that night—the night I thought would be our last. I guess that's why Max's plan didn't work—my heart had already decided. I thought I could just stay away from her, let her move on without me in her life. But after a few days, I couldn't. I couldn't move on. And if we're gonna be together forever, however long my forever may be, then why not get married. I know it wouldn't be legal, but in God's eyes it would be. It felt like the right thing to do, so I'd decided to ask Nellie's permission first thing in the mornin'. And if she said no, at least she'd know what my intentions were.

I reached back to grab the pillow that was behind me and felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. When I opened my eyes to see what was givin' me the willies, it took all I had not to jump up, but I knew if I did that Malyn would wake up. Standin' next to the bed was a black mass in the shape of a person, but with no definite edges. I knew exactly what it was by its red eyes—a Taker.

"Get out," I whispered as sternly as possible. "You ain't allowed in this house, ever. You leave me and this family alone." The quietness of its stare sent chills down my spine. "Get out," I whispered again through gritted teeth. "Now." I'm sure I wasn't too scary with my forceful whisper, but if Malyn woke up and saw this thing in her room, she'd never sleep in there again.

It didn't budge for a minute, but then it finally slithered silently back out through the window. I'd already made my mind up that I was not gonna tell her one of 'em came in her room. The fact that it came in the house, at all, bothered me, but I was pretty sure I knew why it did. If I'd attack it once, I'd attack it twice, then they'd have me again. It was provokin' me. But I'd made a promise to Malyn not to ever let one of 'em get to me like that again. I'd even promised not to try to rescue any of the people who were still trapped in that place, which was hard, especially knowin' James was there. It seemed that they were gonna go wherever I went, which was gonna be big a problem, especially since Malyn was gonna go wherever I went, too.

What could stop more from comin' in? What if they started botherin' Malyn or Nellie, too? How strong could they get? Maybe strong enough to finally take me for good. I'd have to talk to Max and see if he had any idea how to get rid of these things, or at least protect ourselves from 'em. I can't end up back in that place, not only for my sanity, but for Malyn's. I know she'd come lookin' for me again, but she may not be so lucky and get out next time.

It took a little bit to get calmed back down enough to go to sleep, but I was ready for some shut-eye, and a bit anxious, too. What Malyn didn't know was that her night wasn't over, yet. I wanted to give her somethin' that nobody else could. Not just some random gift, but a moment in time that only the two of us could share. It had been a while since we'd shared our dreams, and I had a feelin' that tonight was gonna involve some real doozies.

I tried to relax, lettin' all the negative thoughts and feelin's that the Taker had left behind get pushed out of my mind by the love that now grew like a flowerin' vine through me. I may be dead, but she was my life. She was the life I couldn't live, myself, anymore—the one I now cherished more than my own. Without her, I'd still be just a ghost of myself, waitin' for an end that I thought would never come. Now, I hoped there wouldn't be an end at all. But I knew our time wasn't guaranteed and that I might not be here tomorrow. I hated the thought of her wakin' up and me be gone, with no goodbyes or nothin', so I'd decided to act like each day may be our last, 'cause it may very well be.

She sighed softly in her sleep, pullin' me outta my grave thoughts. I smiled, knowin' that no matter what happened next that she had to be mine forever. She just had to. God wouldn't give me such a precious gift just to up and take it away, no matter what happened to me. I may not know His plan for me, but I knew that whatever it was that it would always include her.

When my mind finally started to slow down, and all the thoughts racin' through it subsided, I felt myself startin' to doze off. I gently pulled her close to me, makin' sure my arm wasn't in a position that would cut off my circulation. I wanted to make sure that I was comfortable so that I wouldn't wake up any time soon. No, I wanted this to last all night long.

She moved slightly, causin' her hair to tickle my nose, so I pressed it down as I kissed the top of her head. "Sweet dreams, Malyn... sweet dreams."

And sweet dreams they'd be... for always.