sixty: the surrounding danger

tw: discussions of dead people and decaying corpses 

Y/N's POV:

"I've been bed ridden for the past 6 weeks; I don't understand what else you want me to do." I whisper yelled at Newt, as Thomas was snoozing in the passenger seat while Fry kept hissing at us to be quiet so he could concentrate.

"You are not fully healed! What if this trip makes that worse?" Newt argued back.

We were both sat in the back seats, after Newt had insisted I come and sit next to him so we could talk. I regret that decision now.

"Then we will deal with it. Isn't Minho more important than my almost completely healed over injury?"

Newt looked really surprised for a second, before lowering his voice even more. "Are you seriously asking that?"

I felt a small pang in my chest, but continued on. "You know what I mean. It feels stupid to be arguing over something hypothetical when rescuing Minho should be our main priority."

Frypan butted in then, meeting our eyes in the mirror. "She's got a point, Newt. This trip is about getting Minho back."

I smirked at the blonde and shot Fry an appreciative smile.

Newt did not look pleased with Fry's contribution to the conversation, however. "Fry, that is not helping. We all know that Y/n would be safest back at camp where the medical staff could attend to any issues."

I rolled my eyes at the boy. "There aren't any issues, though. That is the one fact you seem to be disregarding. I'm healing really well and most of the mobility in my body has returned."

Newt sighed loudly, and slouched back in his seat. "Love, I'm just worried."

I hadn't realised that Thomas was awake, or that he had heard a single sentence of the conversation. "Ugh, Newt, we're all concerned. But Y/n is a literal soldier; you should be more worried about us over here."

Both Fry and I laughed as Newt huffed.

"You aren't helping either." He scowled at Thomas. In response, he rolled his eyes and turned back to the front of the truck.

We had been on the road for about 2 hours by this point, most of which had consisted of Thomas nodding in and out of consciousness, me and Newt bickering about my injuries and Fry getting annoyed at all of us.

Thomas had sworn before we left that he knew exactly where we should be headed, and which path to take, however, once we reached a large tunnel, he seemed much less sure.

Frypan slowing the vehicle resulted in me and Newt halting our arguing, as the boy opened the car door to step out.

Fry turned to Thomas as he too emerged from his sleep. "You want us to go in there?"

Everyone looked on edge and hesitant, even Thomas. That did not soothe my anxieties.

Newt came up behind me, coming to a stop beside me, lacing our fingers together. "I don't want to sound too negative, but if I were a crank, that's exactly where I'd be."

Thomas nodded in agreement. "I don't think we have any other choice. This is the only direct way to the city."

The blonde sighed and turned back to me. "Right, I'll go get the shotgun then. Love, you're staying with me."

I frowned. "We're in a truck. Where else am I supposed to go?"

Newt chuckled and yanked on my arm to follow him. Opening the boot of the truck, we gathered together ammunition and weapons we figured we'd need and sat back in our seats.