002

"It has begun again, my friend.

In your heart, we are nothing but strangers in the end."

Gentle drip drops of the rain fell against the glass of the car's windows, serving as a sweet ambiance, however, a strong contrast to the heavy silence pressing down on Baekhyun and Soon-ok's shoulders. The last words the two had exchanged had been in the empty office. Who could've ever guessed that the Byun Baekhyun and Park Soon-ok would ever be sitting in the same car, oddly enough, shrouded in silence rather than snarky remarks and childish banter?

It was the loud ding from her phone, signaling about a new text message that shattered their train of thought. Soon-ok fished it quickly up, happy to have something to distract herself with. However, the name on the display was one that easily pulled at her heartstrings in the most painful of ways. Her chest constricted as she hesitantly pressed on the notification.

It's over between us

seen, 07:00 am, 1 week ago

Fine by me

9:34 pm

The text was extremely disappointing as it prompted a heavy sigh to tumble from her lips, a big heave of her chest. And yet, her shaking orbs wouldn't- couldn't stop raking over the displayed sentence, as if hopeful that another sort of explanation was going to follow up. How foolish she felt for having had hope for even a second within her. He didn't care about her, never did, and wasn't going to, although the fruit of their love had bloomed inside of her belly.

Love, huh? Perhaps, her one-sided love was a more correct way to portray it. She felt used, consumed to the deepest pit of her being.

Soon-ok wasn't sure about what kind of answer she had expected, or more rightly said, hoped for. She wondered where she had managed to find that little crumb of hope stored within her when he had done nothing but crush her heart without giving a single scruple.

The girl didn't say anything when the driving Baekhyun sent her a questioning glance from the rearview mirror. However, no insisting left his lips, nor did he waste his breath upon the matter when she showed no sign of acknowledgment. He was already doing more than necessary by giving her a ride home. What a nuisance, he thought. Just as the thought crossed his mind, it had become his phone's turn to yell into the heavy silence. The name Jinhee obnoxiously appeared on the display. A roll of his eyes and Baekhyun only clicked his tongue upon seeing it, letting the call echo into the car. Somehow though, as it continued to ring, their silence only felt heavier.

"Are you not going to answer?" Soon-ok had uttered before she had been able to stop herself, Baekhyun's serious expression mixed with a hint of annoyment had sparked a certain curiosity towards who that name belonged to and why he was ignoring the call.

"Hmm," Baekhyun let out a lazy, uninterested hum past his throat, his tone answering her question but without giving Soon-ok the satisfaction of a further explanation. She pouted and slumped back into her seat, unable to take her eyes off the male. She realized how she had done nothing for long months but despise him, though truly, she knew close to nothing about him. The new fact pierced her chest with an unfamiliar sensation, it was slightly painful, and yet she couldn't place her finger on it, she couldn't name it. It felt odd that he was always there when she was in difficult situations and now even knew about her pregnancy. But what did she know about him? It wasn't a fair game, he was ahead of her.