004

"And I can't help but stare,

'cause I see the truth somewhere in your eyes."

It could have been a perfect, peaceful, regular day If only fate hadn't wanted Soon-ok to suffer so much. She should have known that Chief Kim's assistant walking in the office, prompting everyone to straighten up, could've meant anything but good luck. Her breath had hitched in her throat when the assistant parted his lips to speak, and the graveyard-like silence told her that she was not the only one hoping nothing was craved from her.

"Byun Baekhyun," He called out and Soon-ok sighed out in relief, "And Park Soon-ok." She had joyed too soon, and now life was laughing in her face.

"Chief Kim wants you in his office." That was all he said before walking off, expecting the two to follow suit, which they did- slightly clumsily as they hurried from their seats. The rivals could barely even utter anything to each other in a state of shock and displease. Baekhyun's brows were twisted into a pondering frown, but the woman could tell that he wasn't about to figure anything out until they entered that office.

Soon-ok couldn't help the scenarios playing in her head as she walked, it would be a lie if she said that she wasn't the slightest worried or fearful. The fact that Byun Baekhyun, out of all people, was walking beside her rang a dangerous bell within her.

Once they entered the Chief's office, the two were immediately offered a seat. Kim had a frustratingly unreadable look on his features that had Soon-ok give up on figuring the situation out. Both Baekhyun and Soon-ok were thoroughly shocked when Chief Kim let out a burst of bubbling laughter, "Ease up!" He chuckled and shook his head at the two, "I'm not going to fire you." The two visibly relaxed in their seats, although they had figured out it couldn't have been that either way. The chief smiled in satisfaction when his employees took his words. After a short sip of his coffee, the middle-aged man was quick to unveil the cards on the table.

"The reason I called the two of you in here is that we have received a very special request from an incredibly important company." Kim's large palms closed around one another as he leaned closer to the rivals before him, elbows resting on the desk.

"We cannot afford to make these clients unsatisfied, and so, I thought of you two. You do know that you are the most skillful employees in the department, right?" The two quietly nodded.

"Great, my conclusion to this meeting is to have you two team up and work on this project. I'd like to see your forces united and the amazing outcome. Are you okay with that?" Absolutely not, was the very first answer that had taken place in the rivals' heads, but it wasn't like they could have said that to their boss. Hence, it wasn't like any of the two could afford turning down such an opportunity for their pettiness towards one another. It was a chance to show their boss once again what they could do, to showcase their worth within the field.

"Thank you for this opportunity, sir." Soon-ok bowed her head slightly, as Baekhyun accepted the offer right after her. The older man had a thankful smile blooming on his lips as he waved them off, allowing them to leave.

When the office door closed behind her shoulders, Soon-ok let out the long breath she had been holding the entire time, her nervous heart was still skipping beats against her ribcage. The first thought crossing the pregnant woman's head was that she was absolutely not going to work with Byun Baekhyun. Just a glance in his direction had been enough to tell that the man had been thinking the exact same thing. It was a further confirmation when Baekhyun had sensed her stare burning through him, and so when he met her gaze, his was just as threatening, eyes brimming with anger and discomfort.