5. Minivans and Blindfolds

Lorelei

The cool leather seats of the Lexus Minivan stick to my bare legs.

We've been driving for a few minutes already. I've yet to see Kidnapper's face because there's some kind of divider that blocks my view into the front of the vehicle. Whoever he is still hasn't spoken to me either, the most I've gotten out of the ass is that taunting laugh in my dad's office.

Speaking of Dad, my mind still hasn't quieted. All I can think about is that I'm leaving him to the wolves, leaving him to die a horrible death while I hold up in a safe house. I can't stop images of his bloody, decaying body in the same position as Mom from flicking through my thoughts. It makes me almost nauseous to think of him like that, gone from this earth, leaving me officially alone.

I even think of Amira having the same fate.

Either one of them falling prey to whoever's hunting us has my heartbeat going wild, my hands trembling, and my emotions whirling.

I feel so much love for the two of them, especially now that they're the only people in the world who I've allowed close to me in my entire life. I didn't even really have other friends in school. I mean I've obviously had surface level relationships with other's, I'm not a social reject. But no one else really knows the Lorelei Phoenix.

So many questions gnaw at my mind. Where am I going? Who's targeting my family? Does Dad really know who they are? Am I safe? Are the people I care about safe? Will my life ever go back to the semblance of normal it was before? And who is the man driving me back to my apartment?

At least I'm not necessarily uncomfortable, tired from the fact that it's already 12:00 in the morning, but not uncomfortable. The car is spacious, not your usual cramped interior. The whole thing is dark grey and black but the seats are white. They're sort of like a recliner you would see in someone's living room, two at the front, two where I'm seated, and two in the back. There's even a little panel in the center with tons of controls. But I don't touch that for fear I might fuck something up.

We hit a particularly bumpy part in the road and it surprises me, jostling my body around a little.

"Sorry," A rough, but somehow silky voice coming from the front of the vehicle has me even more perplexed.

I can only assume that's the man I've dubbed, Kidnapper, as I didn't see anyone else while getting inside of the car. Again, I can't see him, but there's a small opening in the divider, allowing for conversations.

So, I take my chance. "Not your fault,"

He doesn't say anything more, letting the car fall back into an eerie silence, only the sound of the road and cars rushing by can be heard. But there's no way in hell I'm letting that happen.

I decide to go for something simple, ease into it. "What's your name?"

I'm surprised and annoyed when his voice responds with, "That's irrelevant,"

I cross my arms. "How is your name irrelevant?"

"Because I said so," There's an unforgiving edge to his words but I also hear a shimmer of amusement.

My eyes roll to the heavens. "What are you, my father?"

"If you'd like to call me daddy, sure." The arrogance comes off of this man in waves, I can already tell.

I immediately feel the anger start to boil at his insinuation. The cocky fucker knew what I meant.

Ugh!

My eyes glare holes at the divider, straight at where I hope Kidnapper's head is. "You're disgusting," I throw as much distaste into my voice as I can.