22. Faking Sick

Wren

I have got to be the dummest motherfucker on the planet. I mean I know I've sinned a lot in my lifetime, but this is just unnecessary. The type of torture that seeps into the pores of your brain, slowly gnawing away at your resolve until you're sure you must be going insane. Her sounds of pleasure haunt me all hours of the day, even sleep doesn't provide me any mercy. Though I have tried pushing her out of my head, even through taking things into my own hands, if you know what I mean. Nothing has worked. 

It's been a few days since that first dare, the one that's left me questioning every single thing I've ever been taught, and every single thing I've come to know about one particular Phoenix. Though, I would never admit to any of this. 

Since that day, Kenzo has been dared to jump in the hot tub after it was left uncovered all night, Cyrus was asked to tell us all his most embarrassing story involving another woman (which quickly ended in a near brawl between him and Hunter, who prompted the truth), I was forced to choke down a spoon-full of Ketchup (which I fucking hate), and Hunter was told he couldn't jerk off for the last two days. It would seem that he got off easy, but the rules caused him to be supervised by one of us at all times, and the sex addict has been left quite the grump. 

That leaves all of us with one point and Lorelei the next in line. Only problem is, she's barely been seen these last few days, choosing to hide up in her room, only to come down for food and water. I for one, have zero problem with the little bitch keeping her distance, but the others have become worried she's sick. 

I know exactly what the problem is though and it's confirmed the second she steps out of her hideout for the first time today.

"Look who it is, the ghost. Honestly, I had started to worry your soul had finally decided to rest, but then I remembered you're far too uptight for that." Hunter chuckles to himself, watching as Lorelei rounds the corner, plopping herself down on one of the barstools set at the kitchen island. 

She glowers at him, looking every bit as annoyed as I had expected her to be. "Is there a reason you always smell like that, or do you just not know how to operate the shower?" 

Hunter places a hand to his heart in mock offense. "I smell delicious! And for your information, I love showering, in all sorts of positions." He winks and our houseguest rolls her eyes, but chooses to say nothing more. 

"Why have you decided to leave your room?" Kenzo turns his head in her direction from his position at the dining room table. 

Shrugging, her attention catches on Cyrus, who's currently checking the temperature on a huge cut of steak he's been prepping for dinner. 

"Is he always the one cooking?" 

Finishing out an email I was writing to my father giving him an update, I close the lid on my MacBook, casting my gaze above my reading glasses to get my first good look at the woman who's decided to invade my thoughts. 

"Most of the time, but on rare occasions one of us takes over." A surprised look crosses over her features at my willingness to answer her question without telling her to fuck off, and I take note of it before she has a chance to disguise the emotion entirely. "But Kenzo was right in asking why you've decided to grace us with your lovely presence." Sarcasm drips from my voice and just like that, she's right back to knowing where we stand with each other.