Chapter thirty-six

Layla

Walking into Maylock's bedroom, the first thing I notice is the cream wallpaper with no rips or bare patches in sight. The bedroom itself is of a similar layout to the one earlier but incredibly cleaner. It's spotless. The skylight is clear from dirt allowing the bright sun to beam in and light up the room. The double bed is made with a white duvet and two pillows and one of the bedside cabinets has a blue digital clock on top. It's ten o'clock. There's also one of those domed light alarms above the bed.

There isn't much in terms of decoration apart from the odd ornament placed anda statue of three people. Each person stands in armour withswords in their hand. This must be Maylock, Abbey and Zack. 

There are two doors, one in the exact same place the bathroom was in the other bedroom and another to the right of the bed on the same wall it backs onto. I dump the clothes on the bed and open the bathroom door but soon realise that it's definitely not the bathroom as there are shelves with books, clothes and trophies inside. 

Something tumbles and I step back as a painting falls down. Guilt plagues me since this is Maylock's personal stuff but the painting intrigues me. Two men are depicted beside each other with just their torsos and heads shown. One of the men looks like a young Maylock. His hair is much shorter compared to the curly mop he has now. His bright blue eyes pierce through the painting as he smiles while the other man has a more neutral expression. I seem to oddly recognise him. His hair is golden brown with rounded green eyes. 

Like me.     

     "That's me and Max" I jump frightened at the sound of a voice.

     "Jeez. What happened to knocking?" Maylock is stood in the doorway.

     "It's my room" he answers simply and his lips curl into a smirk. 

I narrow my eyes at him and his expression soon sinks. 

     "You sure you're okay? You look like an extra from a horror movie" he walks in but this makes me realise that he must have seen my not so blue top. 

My jacket is open for the whole world to see.

     "I'm good" I enclose my jacket, but I suppose I can use his inquiries to my advantage. "Actually, are there any bandages I could have?"

     "Yeah" he goes over to the chest of drawers which has the Guardian statue on top. "Why do you want them?"

     "Precaution" I quickly reply but I really want to stop the bleeding from the bite mark. "Thanks" he hands me the roll of white padding. "I recognise the other man, who is he?" I nod down to the painting.

     "I haven't been honest with you" he runs his hand through his hair, looking away from me.

     "Yeah, too right. You lied to me" I accuse him.

     "With what?" he frowns, his hand stills within his hair.

     "Saying that there is a reason for me being in danger. Baymin said that you're still working on it and haven't found anything new so I am in danger of the unknown. Oh and also that the legend you were talking about is just a story" 

     "He said that did he?" he clenches his jaw and narrows his eyes in a steaming glare. "Baymin was wrong to talk for me but I haven't been completely honest with you"

     "That's the third time you have said that now." I snap annoyed. "You said this right before you saved me from that werewolf. How did you survive that fall anyway?" 

     "A werewolf?" his eyes light up as he ignores my question prior. "Is that what the monster is?" 

     "Yes" I frown as surely, he knows that already since they have been studying it for years. I tell him just that. 

     "We only track its movements Layla" He responds after a pause. 

     "So how can you work out that it has a purpose?" I put forward "and more specifically, how can you work out that it is somehow focused on me? It doesn't make sense. Why am I even considered being in danger of the unknown? Isn't everyone? People go out and risk crossing roads, buildings collapsing but they still go out. They still go out" Maylock looks at me, his eyes soften - worried. 

     "But look at you" he indicates to my whole ripped attire and I pull my jacket closer around me. "What happened?"

     "Mavlins came" I tie things together with what I said to Baymin. "I couldn't use my angel but I fought them" 

     "Looks as if it was one hell of a fight" he continues to scan my clothes. 

     "It was" I nod and widen my eyes to act like it was an exhausting feat. 

     "And the monster? How did you find out they were a werewolf?" his caring gaze is still on me. 

     "It can talk" I add, my voice quivers from the fact. 

     "I'm sorry you were alone facing it Layla" He sympathizes. Warmth oozes from him and I feel it. 

I feel him. 

My heart skips a beat and I feel like I'm floating. 

     "H... how did you survive that fall?" I try to steer this conversation back on solid ground. 

I squash my feelings to the deepest part of me and my heartrate lessens.

     "I didn't come off unscathed" he pulls his sleeve up and there's a large graze on his elbow and another along his forearm. "Courtesy of those darn rocks" he smirks, rolling his sleeve back down. "Luckily I took a screwlag and activated it mid-air. It forked out and grabbed the rocks of the cliff. I passed out from the impact but then climbed upas soon as I woke up" 

     "You didn't have to put your life on the line for me" I mutter as that is what he truly did. "I didn't need you to do that" 

     "I would do it again" his eyes gleam with determination but I don't meet his eye. 

Both my feet are glued to the floor now and I can't feel that again. I won't. I shouldn't... 

     "So, you have said absolutely everything that happened?" he speculates. "There's nothing more?" 

     "Nothing else" I quickly answer, wanting to be out of this conversation "So, lay off me will you and go away" I walk off to the other door, which I hope is the bathroom. 

I pull the door and it won't open. I pull it again but it still will not budge. Why are no doors opening for me! 

     "You push the door Layla, not pull" Maylock tells me and I blush scarlet from embarrassment.

     "Thanks"

     "I'll be upstairs" he walks out of the room.

Once the door is shut, I slowly take my arms out of the straps of my bag to not cause further discomfort and place it on Maylock's bed before picking up the clothes and opening the bathroom door.