READY OR NOT, OUR FUTURE IS HERE

Wren's POV

The smell of a book is the most underrated scent. I make a living breathing in the fragrance of ink and pressed pages, surrounding myself with a million different lives. Yet of all the stories in this town's Library that I care for, the one Finley has given me is my favorite. This is the life I've dreamt about since I was a little girl. A ruggedly handsome, successful husband who puts me on a pedestal. A high pedestal.

Everyday he tells me how beautiful I am. Everyday when he looks into my green eyes, it's as if the world doesn't exist and I'm his sole purpose. The way I melt into his brown irises gives me the warm, secure feeling that life is as it should be—That God looked down upon our marriage with delight, and gave us His blessing.

Cynics will tell you that fairy tales aren't real and that marriage only brings bitter resentment and regrets.

I say that those people just haven't found their Prince Charming yet. I've found him, and he's mine.

All Mine

***

As I'm combing the books at work, trying to find a single one out of place, I smile. Today is going to be such a good day!

There's moments in life that forever hold a special spot in your memory. The hours leading up to and the ones following embed the story deeper and make it even sweeter. When I tell my grandchildren about this day, I'll remember the rich scent of coffee brewing in the break room. I'll recall the way the sunlight beams through the glass, making Edgar Allan Poe's The Raven, glow.

Why is today so important, you ask? Well, today is when all of our hard work pays off.

Finley has worked his fingers to the bone to create a good life for us—A beautiful, wonderful life.

My husband owns his own construction company, DeMille Construction. He has his masters in Engineering, and through hard work and grit, has created an empire.

After my shift is over tonight, Finley is picking me up and we're driving to the title company. We will be getting the keys to our very first home.

My home

Here and now is where our life officially begins. Now we can start the family he and I so desperately ache for. Now we can get the cat I've wanted so badly.

~

The hours tick by unnaturally slow today, which makes me inwardly groan. I'm wanting to reach through the clock and speed up the time, because it's not working correctly today. There's no way that time is literally standing still.

The setting sun filters through the large bay windows, setting this little Library ablaze in cascading hues of marigold and umber. Reflecting off the pressed lettering of the books as I push the last one from my cart into its rightful place. I look around and my eyes wander to the Home Decor section. I pick up a magazine and flip through, smiling to myself.

My home will be decorated with transitional-style accents. Soft, neutral colors will really make our place feel warm and cozy.

I even know exactly where the vase Finley bought me last month will go: In the breakfast nook he said he built me. Once he carries me across the threshold, I'll be able to create my fortress.

"You sure look cute, Librarian."

Five words. He only spoke five words, yet all of my senses are tingling. My stomach tightens and my breathing quickens as I set the magazine back on the rack and gaze up at my husband.