Chapter 13 - Disenchantment in Love and War

[A/N: 1/12/2021

a longish update! hope i can finish this fic soon, before the year ends lol. anyways, thank you for still reading this fic that is close to my heart for some strange sentimental reason lol. don't mind me sorry. anyways, hope you enjoy this as i did writing it. you all take care and stay safe! i'll update again soon hopefully. much love! <333 - ice]

"It's so easy to fall in love but hard to find someone who will catch you

"It's so easy to fall in love but hard to find someone who will catch you."

― Anonymous

"This is not happening... not happening...," came the hoarse murmur from Jungwoo as he scampered toward the railing above the ledge. He was trembling like a leaf, more from fear than the lack of air when Chaera tried to strangle him to death. Tears were streaming down his cheeks and he felt he did not move fast enough.

Jungwoo bent over the railing in search of his beloved below. A soft sob escaped from him when he saw the crumpled body of Taeyong on the jagged, rock littered beach over a dozen feet down and he could just make out a patch of blood near his head. "No... no... no!" Jungwoo quickly dialed for an ambulance while he kept glancing worriedly at the listless, inert form of the man he loved. I can't lose him too. Please, God... no... he's all I have left...

"H-help! Help me!"

The soft yet persistent voice called from beneath and Jungwoo just realized it was coming from Chaera. The bitch was able to grab and hold onto the ledge. Jungwoo, battered and distressed as he was, gaped at the woman in disbelief.

"Y-you want me t-to save... you?!" Jungwoo rasp, astonished at the woman's presumption that he was actually willing to want to help her. "After all that you did... Taeyong is down there, hurt or worse and you...?!"

"Help me up you prick!"

"That's how you butter up someone you tried to kill for help?!"

Jungwoo could sense his rage filling his very insides, and felt his core was molten with fury. But he was a sane human being and he was not a killer, or at least that was what he had believed, till now. The temptation to stomp on those prettily manicured fingers was so great and overwhelming that Jungwoo had to swallow hard to suppress it. "Hello...? Anyone there? Is someone hurt?" the voice cracked over the phone and Jungwoo responded, "Yes! Yes, but please hold on a moment."

The struggle within Jungwoo was so great that he was shaking uncontrollably yet he set the phone down to grab onto Chaera's arms and began pulling the woman up. With all the strength he could manage, Jungwoo heaved and finally Chaera was able to climb up and lift herself up from the ledge. She used her body to slide through the space between the railing and onto safety.

Spent, Jungwoo wobbled while picking up his phone once more. He continued to converse with the person on the phone, giving their location and informing them Taeyong had fallen down the cliff. He also requested the person to alert the police as well. That was when he heard a strange click. He turned to see a trembling Chaera a few feet away from him standing with a gun pointed at his head. Her face had blotches of red as though a myriad of emotions were washing over her.