Chapter 3 - Coincidental Collision

"Jungwoo dear?" a woman's voice uttered.

Jungwoo stirred from his dreamless sleep as he felt bony hands softly run through his hair. He slowly lifted his head from the hospital bed and his body inwardly groaned in complaint. He stretched his back and craned his neck to hear his joints crack and pop. But he wasn't about to complain. Not in front of the woman who was too precious to him.

"Jungwoo, you should have gone home or at least slept on the couch," murmured Kim Rina, Jungwoo's fraternal grandmother.

Jungwoo sighed but put on a bright smile as he gazed at his frail grandmother propped up on the bed. She still looked beautiful with her shoulder-length black hair peppered with grey splayed over her pillows. It shimmered under the sunshine and touching her smooth skin that seemed to make it glow if a little pale and despite being plagued by chronic lymphocytic lukemia. Her sixty-some years of hard life didn't seem to affect her at all, but she had been battling the cancer for over a year now. Almost two. This pained Jungwoo relentlessly.

The day before, the doctor had pulled him aside and told Jungwoo that her CLL had spread and his grandmother had rapidly developed an unrelated cancer which was renal cell adenocarcinoma. Kidney cancer. Jungwoo asked if it was operable, but the doctor was vague and was not very optimistic. Jungwoo suddenly felt his chest tighten as he recalled what the doctor had said: "Given her age, her strength and considering her cancer is already at stage four... we'll see."

"Doctor... is my grandmother...?"

"At this point Jungwoo," Doctor Yang began. "I believe you need to be strong and just be there for her. Let's try to make her as comfortable as we can in the meantime."

What did the doctor mean? No. I can't think of it. Not now. Jungwoo barely managed to suppress his anxiousness and the doctor gave him a light tap on the shoulder as though to make him feel better. It didn't. Now, looking at his grandmother, Jungwoo's fear of losing her seemed more and more imminent. What would he do without her?

"But I want to be close to you while I sleep, Mama Rina," Jungwoo said, his voice coming out hoarse and tired.

"Ah my boy, you're still too clingy. You need to learn to toughen up," Jungwoo's grandmother said while she squeezed her grandson's hand.

"I am tough, Mama Rina," Jungwoo declared with a smile. "I take after you of course."

Mama Rina smiled. "Of course. Now, tell me about that journal in a first aid box you found."

"I had my friend scan the pages and she printed it out so I have a good copy I can take home with me. My friend said it will be ready by tomorrow. You know I'm excited to read you the journal. But not today, sadly. Mama, I... have to go to school now," Jungwoo said with regret but it did seem to brighten his grandmother's eyes somewhat as she nodded. "Tomorrow I'll be back and start reading it with you, alright?"