Chapter 11 - Insecurely Secure

.

[A/N: 10/11/2021

and so after forever, i'm finally able to do a double update. i apologize to those still reading this for making you guys wait, and thank you so much for those who still are waiting. the end is in sights and i'm trying to write furiously and hopefully finish this before the year ends lol... wish me luck. also, pardon the inconsistencies, grammatical errors and all. I'm half-asleep writing these chapters XD.... again, thank you and much love! - ice]

"What we have once enjoyed we can never lose; all that we deeply love becomes a part of us

"What we have once enjoyed we can never lose; all that we deeply love becomes a part of us."

– Helen Keller

Screams. Distinct sporadic agonized screams.

Those sharp shrills overlapped with heavy groaning were what brought Tae Yong to some degree of awareness. He felt himself frowning. He had the desire to fully waken yet his eyelids felt thick and heavy. He struggled, unable to open them fully except for a little flutter. Where was he anyway, he wondered as he tried to focus his vision in unfamiliar surroundings. Then he became cognizant of the severe pangs gnawing at him throughout his body.

Tae Yong's groans didn't seem to alleviate the aches he felt all over when he finally regained full consciousness. It pained his entirety thus he failed to distinguish which part hurt the most. Or maybe not really, for his leg began to throb distinctly accompanied by stinging like those of a thousand sharp pinpricks. It was a familiar sensation, one that he had already experienced before when his bones were injured. It must be a fracture in his leg, finally recalling how he got his injuries. The vibrations caused by heavy vehicles, perhaps even tanks, didn't help any more than groaning in pain whenever his cot shook.

At last, fully awake, Tae Yong began blinking to focus his initially blurred vision. Consequently when it did became clear, he found himself staring at the most angelic face with soft features hovering over him. Warm brown almond shaped eyes that seemed to twinkle like the Northern Star, delicately angled brows and pert nose were quite noticeable as the 'angel' continued to scrutinize in return. But what captured Tae Yong's attention the most were the pink voluminous lips that quickly broke into an infectious smile. I must have died and gone to heaven, thought Taeyong.

"Ah, my patient is finally awake," exclaimed the kindly nurse. Tae Yong assumed the person was a nurse, what with the red cross band strapped on his right arm and plain brown overalls that appeared to make the person taller.

He made it then, made it back to safety. Taeyong marveled at the thought that despite all odds, he had made it back to camp in one piece, broken as he were.

"How are you feeling? You had a rough night. I'm Nam Jung Woo, your nurse. I took care of you last night when you were thrashing in your sleep..." supplied Jung Woo with a soft, almost caressing tone of voice. Taeyong liked the sound.