Chapter 2 - False Pretense

Lee Taeyong watched the glittering Seoul night lights thru the tinted glass as the black van sped along the highway. His dark hair framing his perfectly chiseled features and strong jawline, which garnered admiration wherever he went by whomever he met, was reflected palely on the window. The low purr of the vehicle's engine and its vibration almost lulling him to sleep, making him feel a little drowsy. Sleep. Sleep had become a luxury to him ever since he debuted as a singer. He was lucky to have a couple of hours of it during album promotions, but after five years in the music industry it had practically become a habit. In fact, he flourished in it.

Taeyong was in a relatively good mood, not counting getting mildly irritated by his manager's scowl. Despite having lost the number one spot to another male group during the music show where he had performed his new track earlier, Taeyong considered that all was well. He didn't mind the boy group getting their first win. Heck, he already won five and one more wouldn't have mattered to Taeyong. Besides, it was his last day of promoting his latest album which was already topping the charts and doing so well in sales. Thus all he could think of was taking a short break from it all afterwards. 'You deserve a little holiday' were the exact words of the agency's director where he was on an exclusive contract with.

Taeyong was feeling a bit tired but the adrenaline after performing was still rushing in his blood. One would think he would have gotten used to dancing and singing in shows such as the one earlier, but it always gave him a rush. Music was his passion and it drove him to share his talents to the world. He wasn't in it for fame nor money. Only for pure love for his craft, and it's appreciation gave him great joy. And his father hated him for it.

Not many people knew it, but Lee Taeyong was the only son and heir to the international pharmaceutical company Lee Pharmaceuticals, Inc. founded by his grandfather. It was one of the largest in the country and globally, providing pharmaceutical and other medical treatment related products. They had also recently acquired a take-over of a food and beverage company that Director Lee wanted Taeyong to manage. Taeyong's father, also an only son, was the Board Director and major shareholder wherein their family owned 62 percent of the stocks.

Ambitious and driven, the powerful and influential Director Lee Dojun had thought that by this time his only son would be walking in his shoes, managing at the very least some sector of their company. But no. His beloved heir had chosen to become an idol, training in singing and dancing at a very young age.

At first Director Lee had thought it was just a phase, so he tolerated it. Supported it even. However, as the years rolled by and after his son had attended and graduated from South Korea University of Arts, his disappointment grew and festered. Specially when his son majored in Performing Arts instead of attending Business Management at a different university as he had hoped and expected.