Chapter 5 - Fallen Down

The Next Day - June 4th, 2020

It was in the morning hours, about a day after the attacks on the US. The Warner kids were still asleep. All except for Yakko, who was preparing to make a supply run. He figured Dot and Wakko would be okay.. And besides, it was the best he could do for them since they no longer had Fallon. Wakko was old enough.. He should be able to manage.

But it turned out to be a rough day for the Warner lineage.

A while after Yakko had left, Dot woke up. She was at first a little worried and frightened to see her older brother gone. As she got up and looked through the house for him, she found his note. The note read:

"Wakko, Dot, whoever's up first. I've gone out to get us some more stuff. I'll be back soon, don't go outside. -Yak"

Dot sighed. "Maybe try and do it without giving me a heart attack." She yawned as she stretched. "Whew.. I'm still beat." The Warner sister looked outside. It still seemed pretty cloudy.. And drizzly. Maybe that's why he wanted them to stay inside.

Dot decided to take a look at her map again and look over her options. Eventually, she came to a conclusion to wipe off Palmdale as an option for a place to go to. Now it was just Riverside and Palm Springs they had as an area to go to. Of course, this meant a lot of walking, but it wouldn't hurt to do some walking, right?

Wakko was the last to wake up. But that funny feeling he had felt even worse.. And his mouth felt funny. For some reason, he had an instinct to look for a sewing needle and sewing thread. That's when he went into the bathroom to look at himself in the mirror.

He let out a gasp. His mouth, it.. It had holes.. Why did it look like that?? It wasn't supposed to look like that. He had to find that needle and thread, now! But where was Dot..? Downstairs maybe? He couldn't let her see his state. So he hid his face in his sweater and only let the top of his face be shown, so as not to scare Dot. 

When he made his way downstairs to look for said needle, he made sure to be quick about it. Dot didn't notice. She had her eyes stuck on the map in front of her. "We could stop in.. where.. Glendale? No.. what about Anaheim? I mean, maybe.. But.."

Wakko made it up safely and quietly, but he had to work on stitching up these holes that he has.. They made him look scary. So he got to work, though it hurt.

Dot had come to the conclusion that they'd skip Palmdale and head for Riverside. She made more notes before setting the map away. "Alright. Wakko, are you up?" She called up the stairs.

No response. She could've sworn she heard footsteps not even a minute ago.

"Wakko?" She began making her way upstairs. "Wakko, if you're planning on scaring me, it isn't going to work!" There was still no word from Wakko. He can't be asleep. He'd be awake by now. "Wakko, this isn't funny." She said, becoming a little uneasy in the hallway.

But then, came the noise. A groan. Dot went to investigate.

She wished she hadn't.

When she looked into the room which contained the source of the noise, which was the bathroom, she gasped and began tearing up.

Wakko had turned as a result of the infection. His mouth only consisted of holes that formed the shape of a frown. Wakko had failed to sew it shut. In his fingers, he held the needle and thread. His eyes were hollowed out, almost as if they were dug out.. But they weren't dug out.. His fur and inky skin was peeling apart and melting away into nothing. He turned to Dot, and let out a yelp, one of which frightened Dot and sent her running down the hallway and down the stairs into the living room.

By now, Yakko was approaching the house with two bags of food and drinks and some new clothing for Wakko and Dot. "Dot, Wak, I'm here!" He called. "I got us some-"

He was suddenly grabbed by Dot as she bolted out of the house and down the street. Yakko was, of course, confused. "Dot, what are you doing?? Where's Wakko?" His question was soon answered by Wakko stumbling out of the house, looking, listening. Yakko yelped and picked up Dot, running as fast as his legs would let him. He couldn't let whatever Wakko became near him or their sister. Nobody, not even them, knew how it was infecting others.

Nobody knew how it spread. Where it spread. Who spread it. All that. One thing was certain however. 

It was dangerous.

Yakko didn't want him and Dot to fall victim to this thing.